View Single Post
Staticfactory's Avatar Staticfactory
06-25-2007, 07:15 AM

4th Tool show and emotions have never been more mixed.

Got there around 6:30... for some reason we thought the show started at 7. Reading your ticket helps! Needless to say the place was pretty much empty and we had lots of time to stroll around and shake our heads at the $45 T-shirts that feel as though they'd fall apart after 1 wash.

Big (Bic?) Business was pretty cool considering it was difficult to distinguish each of their songs from the others. Buddy on the drums was rippin' it up pretty good... and I guess the idea of a 2 man band (bass with heavy distortion and drums) is different than what I was expecting (Melt Banana).

Tool hits the stage, the crowd goes nuts. I was sitting in 112 row 20 (right on the aisle) and the energy was pretty fantastic for the most part. The production was a little muddy and Maynard was mixed a little low, but what do you expect from an arena show? The boys seemed to be playing with more intensity than they had at both the Hummingbird and Amphitheatre. I thought this show was better than both of the previous shows, but mainly because I'm a sucker for the arena vibe.

When Maynard mentioned that Hamilton was one of their favorite places to play, I thought for sure that we were going to get some special treatment. When he said "We have a treat for you", I thought we were in for something super special!! As it turns out, we got the shaft entirely (apart from that fantastic little yodel or whatever it was that people from Florida wouldn't get). Don't get me wrong... they played their set like only Tool can, but there was no "bonus" to being at this show. Nobody joined Danny for his drum solo during Lateralus -- I figured the dude from Big (Bic?) Business would have come out to add to the fray, but no dice. There was no Flood, Pushit, Pot, or anything that would even remotely trigger the sense that you were witness to something rare. Maynard didn't sing the "Vicariously I....." outro, which blows because his mic was mixed so low that holding it up to the audience wasn't going to accomplish anything. I think that not getting Aenima as the encore was what really twisted the emotions the most. I know they ALWAYS end with Aenima, but come on... why wouldn't you? Either that or start the bloody show with it! That'd get the mojo flowing!

Regardless, I was happy to be there and wasn't still for the entire show. I managed to work up a good sweat just givin'r in my seat area. The kicker for me was these older people sitting in the row behind us... buddy taps me on the shoulder and says "You can sit down any time now." I don't think I've ever given such a look of disbelief in my life. I just said "This is TOOL my friend... you don't SIT for TOOL!!" He then muttered something else like "We appreciate it" or something. I understand that I'm 6'3" and probably make it difficult to SIT in a seat and see around me, but come on people!! After our little conversation, I went up to get a 'bottle' of water and started to get a little pissed that weekend Tool fans, or chaperones for birthday parties, or whoever the hell they were could even attempt to take fun out of this show for me. So I went back to my row where my friends (block of 6) were SITTING and shouted "GET THE F$&#% OUT OF YOUR SEATS... THIS IS A TOOL CONCERT AND WE SPENT $80 TO ENJOY IT!!" while purposely angling myself so that the people in the row behind us could hear loud and clear. Needless to say, I didn't sit down for the rest of the show (save for a bit during Wings/10K out of respect for JMK). If anything, I was rockin' out even more... so stick that in your minivan and drive it to soccer!!

All-in-all it was a good show. The crowd seemed into it and was roaring pretty good at times. I didn't really see much in the way of flash photography taking place from where I was standing (not SITTING), so thank you to everyone that didn't take pictures. Everyone in the lobby area that I encountered were very courteous and polite (like only Canadians can be), so thank you to everyone that was there out of appreciation for the band and the music and not just there to get drunk and act like idiots.

I'm prayin for rain and prayin for tidal waves come July 9th... I REALLY hope we don't get the exact same set list again but I won't be surprised if we do. See you there!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:15 AM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12
Re: 2007/06/24 - Hamilton, Ontario - Copps Coliseum

4th Tool show and emotions have never been more mixed.

Got there around 6:30... for some reason we thought the show started at 7. Reading your ticket helps! Needless to say the place was pretty much empty and we had lots of time to stroll around and shake our heads at the $45 T-shirts that feel as though they'd fall apart after 1 wash.

Big (Bic?) Business was pretty cool considering it was difficult to distinguish each of their songs from the others. Buddy on the drums was rippin' it up pretty good... and I guess the idea of a 2 man band (bass with heavy distortion and drums) is different than what I was expecting (Melt Banana).

Tool hits the stage, the crowd goes nuts. I was sitting in 112 row 20 (right on the aisle) and the energy was pretty fantastic for the most part. The production was a little muddy and Maynard was mixed a little low, but what do you expect from an arena show? The boys seemed to be playing with more intensity than they had at both the Hummingbird and Amphitheatre. I thought this show was better than both of the previous shows, but mainly because I'm a sucker for the arena vibe.

When Maynard mentioned that Hamilton was one of their favorite places to play, I thought for sure that we were going to get some special treatment. When he said "We have a treat for you", I thought we were in for something super special!! As it turns out, we got the shaft entirely (apart from that fantastic little yodel or whatever it was that people from Florida wouldn't get). Don't get me wrong... they played their set like only Tool can, but there was no "bonus" to being at this show. Nobody joined Danny for his drum solo during Lateralus -- I figured the dude from Big (Bic?) Business would have come out to add to the fray, but no dice. There was no Flood, Pushit, Pot, or anything that would even remotely trigger the sense that you were witness to something rare. Maynard didn't sing the "Vicariously I....." outro, which blows because his mic was mixed so low that holding it up to the audience wasn't going to accomplish anything. I think that not getting Aenima as the encore was what really twisted the emotions the most. I know they ALWAYS end with Aenima, but come on... why wouldn't you? Either that or start the bloody show with it! That'd get the mojo flowing!

Regardless, I was happy to be there and wasn't still for the entire show. I managed to work up a good sweat just givin'r in my seat area. The kicker for me was these older people sitting in the row behind us... buddy taps me on the shoulder and says "You can sit down any time now." I don't think I've ever given such a look of disbelief in my life. I just said "This is TOOL my friend... you don't SIT for TOOL!!" He then muttered something else like "We appreciate it" or something. I understand that I'm 6'3" and probably make it difficult to SIT in a seat and see around me, but come on people!! After our little conversation, I went up to get a 'bottle' of water and started to get a little pissed that weekend Tool fans, or chaperones for birthday parties, or whoever the hell they were could even attempt to take fun out of this show for me. So I went back to my row where my friends (block of 6) were SITTING and shouted "GET THE F$&#% OUT OF YOUR SEATS... THIS IS A TOOL CONCERT AND WE SPENT $80 TO ENJOY IT!!" while purposely angling myself so that the people in the row behind us could hear loud and clear. Needless to say, I didn't sit down for the rest of the show (save for a bit during Wings/10K out of respect for JMK). If anything, I was rockin' out even more... so stick that in your minivan and drive it to soccer!!

All-in-all it was a good show. The crowd seemed into it and was roaring pretty good at times. I didn't really see much in the way of flash photography taking place from where I was standing (not SITTING), so thank you to everyone that didn't take pictures. Everyone in the lobby area that I encountered were very courteous and polite (like only Canadians can be), so thank you to everyone that was there out of appreciation for the band and the music and not just there to get drunk and act like idiots.

I'm prayin for rain and prayin for tidal waves come July 9th... I REALLY hope we don't get the exact same set list again but I won't be surprised if we do. See you there!