View Single Post
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
06-11-2007, 07:15 AM

Most things of importance about this show have been said already - so I can just add a few esoteric insights.

Took my friend for his first show. He enjoyed it, but he's one of those guys who "doesn't listen to the lyrics" - and I did my best to explain, but still felt like he didn't really get the full experience. He is however a music lover, so he did take away something I think - I hope.

This was my 4th show, and it had its pros and its cons as with anything I suppose.

I'd never done floor tickets for a Tool concert so I thought I'd try it, but I can't help feeling as though that was my biggest mistake. It was a different perspective, and I did have a pretty decent view being that I'm 6' 1", and can see over most people - though I also couldn't help feeling guilty as there were a bunch of short hotties behind me who had no chance at even catching a glimpse of the stage. Must have been quite a shitty experience for them I kept thinking.

So then I decided I'd better get my moneys worth and brave my way up to the front of the stage. What a pile of shit - ramming your way through thousands of hot sweaty people packed like sardines only to come to "the pit" - and though fortunately it was a small mosh pit at this show, it was pretty inbred. Then some half ass crowd surfer kicked me in the head, and that was enough to set me off pretty well. I looked at those guys moshing, and couldn't help but think to myself about how they were gonna go home to West Virginia and take their chickens and goats "out for a spin" when they got home. What a bunch of dumbfucks - not even paying a lick of attention to the music.

But then on to the coolest part of the concert for me. I was between 15 and 20 feet directly in front of Adam at this point. I'm a guitarist so I figured since I had the opportunity, I'd ought to go at least make an attempt to examine Adam's technique best I could. For those people who make fun of and put him down for his geetar playing, they just haven't apparently watched him play closely, and just don't "get" what he's doing. He is a hell of a guitar player. In fact alot of the way I see the songs so called "tabbed out" on the internet are most definitely terribly wrong. From my few minutes of close observation, he does things that could be done in very simple positions, he actually does them the hard way. I realized, you know, he pays such close attention to detail that he realizes by doing things "just a little differently" you can get a very subtle, yet more pleasing effect. I know he is doing that all the time - he's a guitar impressionist is what he is. For lack of a less cliche way to put it, he's like Van Gogh on the guitar (minus the cutting off the ear) - Maybe "Monet" would be more fair to him. He is illustrating and highlighting those soundscapes with his techniques and effects like a fine oil painting. And I guess alot of people just don't understand that. Plus he's not just some geetarist - he's actually a "composer"... fundamental difference between being able to "jam out" and being able to write lasting meaningful progressive compositions that blend so well with other musicians like that. Also alot of people don't seem to grasp that. He is truly innovative, as opposed to just playing the same ole blues rock licks that 90% of todays rock is.

Also I had a "moment" there. Actually when Adam was done with that song, I think it was 46 and 2 he was playing. I was so blown away being so close, time sort of slowed down for me. Anyway, maybe it was just me, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. I was like the tallest person right there in front of him anyway. But we made eye contact for a minute - was very cool. Even though he looks like he "doesn't get alot of sleep" he seems to have a fine spirit. I was watching his expressions and gestures (what there were of them anyway) and trying to put my finger on "how he does it", or "what he is doing"... I realized he is concentrating VERY HARD. I could easily see he is just off somewhere else, in some other place. And his movements on the guitar were coming so naturally - he was "in the zone". So that's why he doesn't move around like Hendrix. So for everybody who bags on Adam... well they just don't get it at all.

One more thing about Adam then I'm done. Anybody who's familiar with guitar knows that Hendrix is widely considered the "best" electric guitarist of all time. And I've read and heard that he is Adam's favorite guitarist, and personally I can hear it in his playing - even though it's alot different. Well anybody who's read much about electric guitar knows that Jimi was "all about the music", and he eventually got tired of constantly being expected to perform all his wild stage antics, as they detracted so much from "the music". In fact, towards the end of his carreer if you're familiar with the "Band of Gypsies" live album/performance album - Jimi just stood still during this performance to illustrate the music is what it's really all about. So maybe that's Adam's reasoning, and why he doesn't move around alot. Oh yeah, and as a bit of novelty, then lastnight I was listening to this guitar radio show called "the Chop Shop" and they were interviewing the guitarist from Iron Maiden - asking him his opinions about today's other top guitarists. So first he brought up Eddie Van Halen haha... if you've heard this show it tends to cater to 80's hair metal. But the second guitarist out of the interviewer's mouth was "Adam Jones from Tool" - I just thought that was super cool, and finally he's starting to get the props an recognition he deserves. Yup after watching him from 15 feet away, Adam is a hell of a guitarist I've got to admit.

So after I went up front I was right in front of the mosh pit, and didn't really feel like getting kicked in the head by some half ass crowd surfer again so I bailed back to my spot about directly in the middle of the floor. This was good enough for me, as it was towards the end of the show. Then it came to Lateralus and it's my favorite song so I was ready to jam out. I was riding the spiral when some fat fuck behind me pushed me (on purpose I'm pretty sure). This pretty much ruined the show for me, and I left out to the Merch booth. Where I opted to trade in my arm and one leg for a Tool souvenir. Actually I got 3 of the posters... they were affordable at least. What the hell is it with $75 Hooded sweatshirts, Christ almighty.

So I suppose it's to be expected - the usual ebb and flow of things. Overall I did have a good time. Loved the Paris Hilton comment - putting it like only Maynard could!

Also Flood was spectactular - that was always my favorite song off Undertow. "THIS GROUND IS NOT THE ROCK I THOUGHT IT TO BBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" F'n amazing live.

Can't wait to see what they do and where they go next...
Old 06-11-2007, 07:15 AM   #39
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61
Re: 2007/06/08 - Baltimore, MD - 1st Mariner Arena

Most things of importance about this show have been said already - so I can just add a few esoteric insights.

Took my friend for his first show. He enjoyed it, but he's one of those guys who "doesn't listen to the lyrics" - and I did my best to explain, but still felt like he didn't really get the full experience. He is however a music lover, so he did take away something I think - I hope.

This was my 4th show, and it had its pros and its cons as with anything I suppose.

I'd never done floor tickets for a Tool concert so I thought I'd try it, but I can't help feeling as though that was my biggest mistake. It was a different perspective, and I did have a pretty decent view being that I'm 6' 1", and can see over most people - though I also couldn't help feeling guilty as there were a bunch of short hotties behind me who had no chance at even catching a glimpse of the stage. Must have been quite a shitty experience for them I kept thinking.

So then I decided I'd better get my moneys worth and brave my way up to the front of the stage. What a pile of shit - ramming your way through thousands of hot sweaty people packed like sardines only to come to "the pit" - and though fortunately it was a small mosh pit at this show, it was pretty inbred. Then some half ass crowd surfer kicked me in the head, and that was enough to set me off pretty well. I looked at those guys moshing, and couldn't help but think to myself about how they were gonna go home to West Virginia and take their chickens and goats "out for a spin" when they got home. What a bunch of dumbfucks - not even paying a lick of attention to the music.

But then on to the coolest part of the concert for me. I was between 15 and 20 feet directly in front of Adam at this point. I'm a guitarist so I figured since I had the opportunity, I'd ought to go at least make an attempt to examine Adam's technique best I could. For those people who make fun of and put him down for his geetar playing, they just haven't apparently watched him play closely, and just don't "get" what he's doing. He is a hell of a guitar player. In fact alot of the way I see the songs so called "tabbed out" on the internet are most definitely terribly wrong. From my few minutes of close observation, he does things that could be done in very simple positions, he actually does them the hard way. I realized, you know, he pays such close attention to detail that he realizes by doing things "just a little differently" you can get a very subtle, yet more pleasing effect. I know he is doing that all the time - he's a guitar impressionist is what he is. For lack of a less cliche way to put it, he's like Van Gogh on the guitar (minus the cutting off the ear) - Maybe "Monet" would be more fair to him. He is illustrating and highlighting those soundscapes with his techniques and effects like a fine oil painting. And I guess alot of people just don't understand that. Plus he's not just some geetarist - he's actually a "composer"... fundamental difference between being able to "jam out" and being able to write lasting meaningful progressive compositions that blend so well with other musicians like that. Also alot of people don't seem to grasp that. He is truly innovative, as opposed to just playing the same ole blues rock licks that 90% of todays rock is.

Also I had a "moment" there. Actually when Adam was done with that song, I think it was 46 and 2 he was playing. I was so blown away being so close, time sort of slowed down for me. Anyway, maybe it was just me, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. I was like the tallest person right there in front of him anyway. But we made eye contact for a minute - was very cool. Even though he looks like he "doesn't get alot of sleep" he seems to have a fine spirit. I was watching his expressions and gestures (what there were of them anyway) and trying to put my finger on "how he does it", or "what he is doing"... I realized he is concentrating VERY HARD. I could easily see he is just off somewhere else, in some other place. And his movements on the guitar were coming so naturally - he was "in the zone". So that's why he doesn't move around like Hendrix. So for everybody who bags on Adam... well they just don't get it at all.

One more thing about Adam then I'm done. Anybody who's familiar with guitar knows that Hendrix is widely considered the "best" electric guitarist of all time. And I've read and heard that he is Adam's favorite guitarist, and personally I can hear it in his playing - even though it's alot different. Well anybody who's read much about electric guitar knows that Jimi was "all about the music", and he eventually got tired of constantly being expected to perform all his wild stage antics, as they detracted so much from "the music". In fact, towards the end of his carreer if you're familiar with the "Band of Gypsies" live album/performance album - Jimi just stood still during this performance to illustrate the music is what it's really all about. So maybe that's Adam's reasoning, and why he doesn't move around alot. Oh yeah, and as a bit of novelty, then lastnight I was listening to this guitar radio show called "the Chop Shop" and they were interviewing the guitarist from Iron Maiden - asking him his opinions about today's other top guitarists. So first he brought up Eddie Van Halen haha... if you've heard this show it tends to cater to 80's hair metal. But the second guitarist out of the interviewer's mouth was "Adam Jones from Tool" - I just thought that was super cool, and finally he's starting to get the props an recognition he deserves. Yup after watching him from 15 feet away, Adam is a hell of a guitarist I've got to admit.

So after I went up front I was right in front of the mosh pit, and didn't really feel like getting kicked in the head by some half ass crowd surfer again so I bailed back to my spot about directly in the middle of the floor. This was good enough for me, as it was towards the end of the show. Then it came to Lateralus and it's my favorite song so I was ready to jam out. I was riding the spiral when some fat fuck behind me pushed me (on purpose I'm pretty sure). This pretty much ruined the show for me, and I left out to the Merch booth. Where I opted to trade in my arm and one leg for a Tool souvenir. Actually I got 3 of the posters... they were affordable at least. What the hell is it with $75 Hooded sweatshirts, Christ almighty.

So I suppose it's to be expected - the usual ebb and flow of things. Overall I did have a good time. Loved the Paris Hilton comment - putting it like only Maynard could!

Also Flood was spectactular - that was always my favorite song off Undertow. "THIS GROUND IS NOT THE ROCK I THOUGHT IT TO BBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" F'n amazing live.

Can't wait to see what they do and where they go next...