View Single Post
Timshel
06-04-2007, 09:17 PM

I sincerely feel sorry for those of you who are not enjoying your show experiences this year. I realize the band's level of enthusiasm is apparently fluctuating between whatever venue they're performing at, but each of the three concerts I've had the pleasure of attending in the last 45 days were phenomenal.

Tonight was a 10/10. Seriously.

Everything down to driving to and from the venue was flawless. Got in an out of the parking lot in less than 5 minutes each time, arriving and exiting.

Melt Banana, while I'm sure earn some degree of notoriety among their genre, sucked a great donkey dong in my opinion.

From the moment TOOL walked on stage, the night was perfect, though.

Jambi
Ions
Stinkfist (Extended)
46 & 2
Schims (Extended)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Pushit

-Intermission-
Wings for Marie/10,000 Days
Lateralus (Extended w/ Mastodon's Brann Dailor)
Vicarious

I was positioned to Justin's 10 O'clock about 15 rows back. I was blown away by the sound quality from this position. Prior to the show, I thought I'd be skewed and the sound would sound bass heavy, or Maynard would be lost in the EQ. I couldn't have been more wrong. From my vantage point, the sound was perfect. I understood the vocals better than in Las Vegas and everything sounded tight. Additionally, I was facing Adam and Maynard 90% of the time they weren't looking out toward the pit. It was an, albeit a little awkward, truly privileged opportunity to watch Justin work his octopus pedal board and gain a more accurate understanding of how he manipulates his Wal to sound unlike most other bassists playing. Additionally, I could see a large majority of Adam's effects. I never would've thought of it before the show, but this was one of my favorite angles in any venue. Section 108 Seat M4

Again, those of you getting bad shows, I feel bad for. Maynard was very enthusiastic throughout the night. He spoke relatively little but did he odd, intricate dancing through several songs. He opened the evening with "Hello Gawga," mimicking a pseudo Ray Charlesesque Southern dialect. I was amused, and he was met with applause.

I still feel Jambi is a wonderful opener. Really sets the mood for me, and whatever technical difficulties Adam was having with the Heil box in Nevada seem to have been resolved.

Ions, although brief, was an appreciated addition I did not get in Vegas.

Receiving all THREE extended versions of live songs this show was a treat (Stinkfist, Schism, Lateralus)! Never heard the ex. SF and appreciated it greatly.

46&2, Schism, Lost Keys, and Rosetta Stoned were more or less the same as The Pearl's, but boy do I love that soft, slow tempo introduction to Schism.

And then, naturally, came the event worth the price of admission: Pushit. I know it's been played a handful of times this tour, but I still couldn't believe we got it. A wonderful experience and something I thought I'd never receive, as I discovered TOOL in 2004 and assumed, based on prior set list this tour, that Pushit was retired. Simply awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
So, do we want to perform a collective "rain dance" for Pushit? Or maybe even The Pot? I'll be boogyin' until show time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked&Fearless View Post
I'll be Rain Dancing with ya! Give us Push It!!!! SO FUCKING EXCITED!!!!!!
And that freaking worked after all!

Wings/10,000 Days was terrific. Blasphemous as it may be, I generally skip this song on the CD, as I find it a tad boring. It was AMAZING tonight. The lasers and visuals have changed slightly since Vegas, with the addition of some pink lasers and other colors. However, what was most meaningful, to me, was the crowd's reaction. I saw very few people moshing, couples were hugging and holding each other. It seemed very respectful and appropriate.

Lateralus is still the culminating performance of the night, despite the addition of Pushit. A breath taking performance live, and the number of blended polyrythyms in that song are unreal.

Vicarious ends the night with good energy.

So, no laser pointers, no thrown objects, an appearingly animated and enthusiastic band, accurate playing, and no technical problems result in the best concert of my life.

To those complaining about set list, I honestly and objectively cannot understand. You've heard these songs all before? Okay... How can you not still be blown away!? They're played with such energy (when I've seen them). Maybe I've been more fortunate with the performances I've attended.

P.S. There were more Maynardisms, with what I believed was a "Thank you," to the crowd, but I could not catch them.

Cheers to all! Hope your subsequent shows are equally as impressive.

Last edited by Timshel; 06-04-2007 at 09:20 PM..
Old 06-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5
Re: 2007/06/04 - Duluth, GA - Gwinnette Center

I sincerely feel sorry for those of you who are not enjoying your show experiences this year. I realize the band's level of enthusiasm is apparently fluctuating between whatever venue they're performing at, but each of the three concerts I've had the pleasure of attending in the last 45 days were phenomenal.

Tonight was a 10/10. Seriously.

Everything down to driving to and from the venue was flawless. Got in an out of the parking lot in less than 5 minutes each time, arriving and exiting.

Melt Banana, while I'm sure earn some degree of notoriety among their genre, sucked a great donkey dong in my opinion.

From the moment TOOL walked on stage, the night was perfect, though.

Jambi
Ions
Stinkfist (Extended)
46 & 2
Schims (Extended)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Pushit

-Intermission-
Wings for Marie/10,000 Days
Lateralus (Extended w/ Mastodon's Brann Dailor)
Vicarious

I was positioned to Justin's 10 O'clock about 15 rows back. I was blown away by the sound quality from this position. Prior to the show, I thought I'd be skewed and the sound would sound bass heavy, or Maynard would be lost in the EQ. I couldn't have been more wrong. From my vantage point, the sound was perfect. I understood the vocals better than in Las Vegas and everything sounded tight. Additionally, I was facing Adam and Maynard 90% of the time they weren't looking out toward the pit. It was an, albeit a little awkward, truly privileged opportunity to watch Justin work his octopus pedal board and gain a more accurate understanding of how he manipulates his Wal to sound unlike most other bassists playing. Additionally, I could see a large majority of Adam's effects. I never would've thought of it before the show, but this was one of my favorite angles in any venue. Section 108 Seat M4

Again, those of you getting bad shows, I feel bad for. Maynard was very enthusiastic throughout the night. He spoke relatively little but did he odd, intricate dancing through several songs. He opened the evening with "Hello Gawga," mimicking a pseudo Ray Charlesesque Southern dialect. I was amused, and he was met with applause.

I still feel Jambi is a wonderful opener. Really sets the mood for me, and whatever technical difficulties Adam was having with the Heil box in Nevada seem to have been resolved.

Ions, although brief, was an appreciated addition I did not get in Vegas.

Receiving all THREE extended versions of live songs this show was a treat (Stinkfist, Schism, Lateralus)! Never heard the ex. SF and appreciated it greatly.

46&2, Schism, Lost Keys, and Rosetta Stoned were more or less the same as The Pearl's, but boy do I love that soft, slow tempo introduction to Schism.

And then, naturally, came the event worth the price of admission: Pushit. I know it's been played a handful of times this tour, but I still couldn't believe we got it. A wonderful experience and something I thought I'd never receive, as I discovered TOOL in 2004 and assumed, based on prior set list this tour, that Pushit was retired. Simply awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
So, do we want to perform a collective "rain dance" for Pushit? Or maybe even The Pot? I'll be boogyin' until show time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked&Fearless View Post
I'll be Rain Dancing with ya! Give us Push It!!!! SO FUCKING EXCITED!!!!!!
And that freaking worked after all!

Wings/10,000 Days was terrific. Blasphemous as it may be, I generally skip this song on the CD, as I find it a tad boring. It was AMAZING tonight. The lasers and visuals have changed slightly since Vegas, with the addition of some pink lasers and other colors. However, what was most meaningful, to me, was the crowd's reaction. I saw very few people moshing, couples were hugging and holding each other. It seemed very respectful and appropriate.

Lateralus is still the culminating performance of the night, despite the addition of Pushit. A breath taking performance live, and the number of blended polyrythyms in that song are unreal.

Vicarious ends the night with good energy.

So, no laser pointers, no thrown objects, an appearingly animated and enthusiastic band, accurate playing, and no technical problems result in the best concert of my life.

To those complaining about set list, I honestly and objectively cannot understand. You've heard these songs all before? Okay... How can you not still be blown away!? They're played with such energy (when I've seen them). Maybe I've been more fortunate with the performances I've attended.

P.S. There were more Maynardisms, with what I believed was a "Thank you," to the crowd, but I could not catch them.

Cheers to all! Hope your subsequent shows are equally as impressive.

Last edited by Timshel; 06-04-2007 at 09:20 PM..
OFFLINE |