View Single Post
tuck's Avatar tuck
05-27-2007, 09:26 AM

I was worried going to this show. I have read many reviews of the shows they have done in the month before this show. I was worried that maynard wouldnt be into it, that they would all just stand there and play the setlist and walk off. That would have been great, but also a bit of a let down. It seems to me the band needs energy to give that extra bit that takes a show from being great to one that is spectacular and mind blowing. I think tool got that energy last night. They got it from the 10,000+ fans at the verizon wireless music amphitheatre.

They opended with Jambi. As I listened to the band absolutely knock it out of the park. I noticed something that I had not really expected. There was no moshing. There were no fights. No negative energy at all, in fact it was the opposite. There was an incredible feeling of positivity. To my surprise, the crowd new every fucking word to Jambi and sang it loud. I felt like I was at a sing along. A smile came across my face and as Jambi came to a close Maynard yells out, "Ala- fucking- bama". I saw this as a good sign as he was rarely speaking at his other shows.

And so, we welll upon or way as they kicked it into the extended version of stinkfist. As everyone above posted, Maynard got a big laugh out of the fact that the whole crowd yelled, "ILL KEEP DIGGING, Til I FEEL.....huh". I was one of those who did this and I did feel akward as did the other 10,000 people who sang it. It didnt matter....we all just looked around and chuckled to ourselves. Maynard was very animated and dancing around. Im soo glad he was into it, he put on a good show.

Then came 46&2. This used to be my favorite tool song. It was the song that got me hooked on tool. They killed it. Again the crowd was awesome. Singing every word of the song as loud as they could. In fact I couldnt tell if Maynards vocals were being drowned out by us or just some sound mixing problems. Ive read in other threads that Maynards vocals were not as audible and were being drowned by the other instruments. Maybe they are doing this intentionally. My wife was with me and shes not a big tool fan. I kind of told her what to expect and let her hear the songs before we went to the show so whe wouldnt be totally lost. She leaned over to me during this song and said, "look at the drummer, that is amazing." I just smiled and said, "yup, he's the best there is."

Schism. Very cool extended version. Maynard hit the notes of the "between supposed lovers" part....but I heard an echo to it which Im pretty sure was intentional and to me didnt sound that great.

Lost Keys/RS - I can not get those damn eery notes out of my head. I was so excited for RS this one of the songs I had really been looking forward to. Unfortunately, the vocals were not that audbile but I could pick out some of the verses. He does seem to be able do this song even faster than on the album which was pretty damn amazing. The other band members were right on time with this one. It sounded perfect. Obviously this is one of those songs that is not really one you can sing along with him but then came the climax.....and the crowd came right back into it. "OVERWHELMED AS ONE WOULD BE PLACED IN MY POSITION, SUCH A HEAVY BURDEN TO BE THE ONE...." You have never heard this song the right way until you hear 10,000 people singing this song in perfect unison with Maynard. It blew me away.

At this point, I leaned over to my wife and said, "this is where they play right in two." I knew they had been playing pushit in special circumstances but I really didnt think they would consider bham a special place, but as the crowd energy was so positive and Maynard and the boys seemed really into it......I heard those riffs and I could not believe my ears. What I had been thinking all along about the crowd being so wonderful was in fact solidified by the fact that they played pushit. It was as if the band was saying, "you guys are kick ass and here is your present". The crowd went absolutely nuts when adam started it and Maynard came through with , "saw the gap again today" and the crowd replied, "while you were begging me to stay" and then we all sang together, " take care not to make me enter, if I do we both may disappear"......I really dont have the words for how great they did this song. And I really am grateful that audience was so into it. Again we sang the whole song word for word right with Maynard and it had by brain melted. Some of the lyrics that sounded the best with all of us singing with him were....

"Slipping back into the gap again, Im alive when your touching me, alive when your shoving me down."

"But Id trade it all, for just a little piece of miiiiinnnndddd!!!!"

of course the part where he starts,"If say I might feel like a sigh if stayeeya, you minimize my movements anyway. I must persuade you another waaay!!!"

and then finally...."Remember I will always love you as I claw your fucking throat way, it will end no other way....it will end no other wayy!!!!"

The came wings/10,000 days. You havent heard this song til you hear it live. what a beautiful experience. We were all sitting down in our section just chiling out and enjoying one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard. The lasers were amazing.

Lateralus. Just as everyone has said was one of the best. The lasers. the lights. the music. the singing. it was all incredibly well performed and the extended part was alright but I didnt get into it as much. but then kinski walked off and the band started playing the climax and again the crowd stepped it up as we all knew the set was coming to an end. Simply unbeleivable.

Finally, Vicarious, this song was probably my 5th or 6th favorite song on 10,000 days until I heard it live. Holy shit this song is increbile live and I loved it at the end when right before the climax he yells out to us encouraging us to sing it loud with him.." come on Bama!!" ....."VICARIOUSLY I, LIVE WHILE THE WHOLE WORLD DIES, much better you than I."

The crowd cheered and cheered. tool seemed grateful and threw out picks, drum sticks, bottled water. they hugged. the crowd kept cheering and clapping not wanting it to end. then came the foot stomping which sounded like a small earthquake. Maynard walked off stage waving and bowing. Danny, adam and Justin stayed out for a bit longer bowing waving. No one wanted it to end....the lights came up. I felt a little empty but really grateful, I didnt think I would ever get to see them again after they came in 2001 on lateralus tour. But as I left the concert with my wife I thought to myself that the night could not have been any better (except for maynards vocal sound being low). It shook me. When I got back to the lake house. I couldnt go to sleep. I just sat on the porch reliving each moment I had just experienced during the show, while looking at a peaceful lake. Thank you tool.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:26 AM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 133
Re: 2007/05/26 - Birmingham, AL - Verizon Wireless Music Center

I was worried going to this show. I have read many reviews of the shows they have done in the month before this show. I was worried that maynard wouldnt be into it, that they would all just stand there and play the setlist and walk off. That would have been great, but also a bit of a let down. It seems to me the band needs energy to give that extra bit that takes a show from being great to one that is spectacular and mind blowing. I think tool got that energy last night. They got it from the 10,000+ fans at the verizon wireless music amphitheatre.

They opended with Jambi. As I listened to the band absolutely knock it out of the park. I noticed something that I had not really expected. There was no moshing. There were no fights. No negative energy at all, in fact it was the opposite. There was an incredible feeling of positivity. To my surprise, the crowd new every fucking word to Jambi and sang it loud. I felt like I was at a sing along. A smile came across my face and as Jambi came to a close Maynard yells out, "Ala- fucking- bama". I saw this as a good sign as he was rarely speaking at his other shows.

And so, we welll upon or way as they kicked it into the extended version of stinkfist. As everyone above posted, Maynard got a big laugh out of the fact that the whole crowd yelled, "ILL KEEP DIGGING, Til I FEEL.....huh". I was one of those who did this and I did feel akward as did the other 10,000 people who sang it. It didnt matter....we all just looked around and chuckled to ourselves. Maynard was very animated and dancing around. Im soo glad he was into it, he put on a good show.

Then came 46&2. This used to be my favorite tool song. It was the song that got me hooked on tool. They killed it. Again the crowd was awesome. Singing every word of the song as loud as they could. In fact I couldnt tell if Maynards vocals were being drowned out by us or just some sound mixing problems. Ive read in other threads that Maynards vocals were not as audible and were being drowned by the other instruments. Maybe they are doing this intentionally. My wife was with me and shes not a big tool fan. I kind of told her what to expect and let her hear the songs before we went to the show so whe wouldnt be totally lost. She leaned over to me during this song and said, "look at the drummer, that is amazing." I just smiled and said, "yup, he's the best there is."

Schism. Very cool extended version. Maynard hit the notes of the "between supposed lovers" part....but I heard an echo to it which Im pretty sure was intentional and to me didnt sound that great.

Lost Keys/RS - I can not get those damn eery notes out of my head. I was so excited for RS this one of the songs I had really been looking forward to. Unfortunately, the vocals were not that audbile but I could pick out some of the verses. He does seem to be able do this song even faster than on the album which was pretty damn amazing. The other band members were right on time with this one. It sounded perfect. Obviously this is one of those songs that is not really one you can sing along with him but then came the climax.....and the crowd came right back into it. "OVERWHELMED AS ONE WOULD BE PLACED IN MY POSITION, SUCH A HEAVY BURDEN TO BE THE ONE...." You have never heard this song the right way until you hear 10,000 people singing this song in perfect unison with Maynard. It blew me away.

At this point, I leaned over to my wife and said, "this is where they play right in two." I knew they had been playing pushit in special circumstances but I really didnt think they would consider bham a special place, but as the crowd energy was so positive and Maynard and the boys seemed really into it......I heard those riffs and I could not believe my ears. What I had been thinking all along about the crowd being so wonderful was in fact solidified by the fact that they played pushit. It was as if the band was saying, "you guys are kick ass and here is your present". The crowd went absolutely nuts when adam started it and Maynard came through with , "saw the gap again today" and the crowd replied, "while you were begging me to stay" and then we all sang together, " take care not to make me enter, if I do we both may disappear"......I really dont have the words for how great they did this song. And I really am grateful that audience was so into it. Again we sang the whole song word for word right with Maynard and it had by brain melted. Some of the lyrics that sounded the best with all of us singing with him were....

"Slipping back into the gap again, Im alive when your touching me, alive when your shoving me down."

"But Id trade it all, for just a little piece of miiiiinnnndddd!!!!"

of course the part where he starts,"If say I might feel like a sigh if stayeeya, you minimize my movements anyway. I must persuade you another waaay!!!"

and then finally...."Remember I will always love you as I claw your fucking throat way, it will end no other way....it will end no other wayy!!!!"

The came wings/10,000 days. You havent heard this song til you hear it live. what a beautiful experience. We were all sitting down in our section just chiling out and enjoying one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard. The lasers were amazing.

Lateralus. Just as everyone has said was one of the best. The lasers. the lights. the music. the singing. it was all incredibly well performed and the extended part was alright but I didnt get into it as much. but then kinski walked off and the band started playing the climax and again the crowd stepped it up as we all knew the set was coming to an end. Simply unbeleivable.

Finally, Vicarious, this song was probably my 5th or 6th favorite song on 10,000 days until I heard it live. Holy shit this song is increbile live and I loved it at the end when right before the climax he yells out to us encouraging us to sing it loud with him.." come on Bama!!" ....."VICARIOUSLY I, LIVE WHILE THE WHOLE WORLD DIES, much better you than I."

The crowd cheered and cheered. tool seemed grateful and threw out picks, drum sticks, bottled water. they hugged. the crowd kept cheering and clapping not wanting it to end. then came the foot stomping which sounded like a small earthquake. Maynard walked off stage waving and bowing. Danny, adam and Justin stayed out for a bit longer bowing waving. No one wanted it to end....the lights came up. I felt a little empty but really grateful, I didnt think I would ever get to see them again after they came in 2001 on lateralus tour. But as I left the concert with my wife I thought to myself that the night could not have been any better (except for maynards vocal sound being low). It shook me. When I got back to the lake house. I couldnt go to sleep. I just sat on the porch reliving each moment I had just experienced during the show, while looking at a peaceful lake. Thank you tool.
OFFLINE |