View Single Post
Old 12-22-2002, 05:32 PM   #40
(tdn supporter)

Bincount™: 1
A few words about snobbery

And another thing. There's been a lot of self-righteousness on this thread pertaining to people's reasons for not being into popular music, i.e. "I am so smart that I cannot be fooled by pop media culture." Please, can we tone it down a bit? Is there anything worse than hearing sanctimonious tripe like this? Just because you don't like pop music doesn't mean that you are smarter than fans of other styles of music. Snobbery is no way to get people to listen to your opinion. Yeah, you whine about how the kids down at the mall are idiots because they called you a ******. Or you can hand them a tape of good music and say, "no, not really" (or "yes, I am", depending on what your proclivities are). It is really difficult to do what is best for someone else, but recognizing that as humans we are all capable of feelings and a deeper spirituality is something that I would venture to say Tool is into. Barring speculation about the band, from reading posts on this site, it is definitely something tool fans who post here are into. Elitism will kill any good movement or will make it elite, by definition closing it to some. If you are about unity and collectivity, stop treating people like shit. Finally, I would like to take a step back and say that I have never really followed the aforementioned suggestions and it's ironic to be chastised for self-righteousness. However, I think the above advice applies - I usually give better advice than I follow.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote