View Single Post
Old 12-21-2002, 10:27 PM   #39
(tdn supporter)

Bincount™: 1
Why I don't shave my sideburns

Quote:
Originally posted by J1516
Rap rock is one of the worst ideas ever. It's not for music, it's clearly for making money.
Bullshit. Case in point: The Judgment Night Soundtrack. Sonic Youth and Cypress Hill. Slayer and Ice-T. Del and Dinosaur Jr. Teenage Fanclub and De La. Helmet and House of Pain. As an addendum, I'd like to mention that Run D.M.C. and Aerosmith did the whole Rock/Rap thing a long time ago, not Korn, not your Gimp Triscuit, not Caca Roach. Go ahead, tell me that Korn sucks, that 311 sucks. Have you heard the first Korn album? It does rock. Fucking "Ball Tongue", "Helmet in the Bush." These are good songs. 311 Grassroots is good.
J1516- Do you think that ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead is punk? Punk influenced, certainly, but why not call Britney Spears punk because one time she heard "God Save the Queen" at a strip club? "At one of their gigs, the Sex Pistols sucked so much that people threw shit at them." Okay. Maybe Austin is different, but in my hometown, bands have shit thrown at them whether they suck or not. Not Tool, obviously, but many other bands - Fear Factory, for instance, who don't suck as much as they might seem to at first and who play their shit faster live. Guess that doesn't say much about Seattle, but whatever.

I no longer listen to the radio for music. I listen to about 15 minutes of Howard Stern between the time my alarm clock goes off and the time I get up, but beyond that, I can't do it. I used to listen to Alt Rock radio, but during the 3rd Eye Blind boom of the mid-90's, I started listening to the "Rock" station in Seattle. Which was great for awhile. Jimi, some Stones, Zepplin, Sabbath, Floyd, Rush (anyone else notice that you can refer to classic bands with two names by just the last name?) - old shit that I had previously forsaken as "my parents' music - plus they played Tool, Metallica, even the Melvins. Anyway, recently they started to lower their standards, playing garbage like Muddle of Pudd [sic] and Creed. Fucking Creed on my beloved rock station. So I switched again to the "Classic Rock" station. Unfortunately, I started getting tired of the classics (a tragedy) because there are a finite number of good singles from the 60's and 70's. So I'm done, for the moment. I hear about bands from friends and watch M2 occasionally. I watch MTV for pure entertainment value - It's like the Hall of Presidents at Disneyworld - a propagandistic nightmare, except they hide the strings better. I listen to CD's and make my own music with a shitty freeware techno program. It's better than listening to N'Sync, shaving my sideburns every day, and waxing my ass hair.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote