View Single Post
Old 12-19-2002, 09:42 AM   #34
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
J, shut up. Seriously.

For starters, I was mentioning the difference between "pop", as a genre, and "popular", as in what sells a lot of albums. It's possible to be both, one does not guarantee the other. And, as in all genres, there's stuff in "pop" that sucks mixed in with the stuff that's good. That's why I attempted to draw the line between the genre and the factual label of "popular".

I hate MTV, and I don't watch it. It's a joke.

I also didn't say any of what I had said was revolutionary, because honestly, I don't think a thread like this can come up with anything new after about 5 or 6 posts.

I never said I listen to music I hate, or I'd be listening to Slipknot, and Disturbed, and Nickelback, and all those other derivative shitty nu-metal pieces of crap.

Speaking of derivative...

Has anyone noticed that The White Stripes, who apparently are saving rock from itself, sound EXACTLY like The Kinks? Right down to the shitty production? I know I have. And then there's The Hives, and the whole rest of the big "The _______" trend that's running right up MTV's playlists and has Rolling Stone and Spin covers monopolized (for now). I don't deny that they "rock out", but as far as art and originality is concerned, man, they suck balls.

And punk... good punk is okay. I certainly can't listen to it for too long, because it grates on my eardrums, but I certainly am not going to try to ram it down someone's throat because I like it as a musical style.

I'm really getting sick of your bullshit holier than thou attitude, and I really wish that you'd just the fuck up and let people have their OPINIONS on an OPINION board. You keep acting like your shit don't stink, but you're just a music fan, like any of the rest of us.

Oh, and I like Beck, and Radiohead, and Bjork. "Loser" is spelled with one 's' and Where It's At is a great song, "A Place for Everything and Everything in its Place" is one of the best songs EVER, and Bjork's music is beyond comparison.

And "BECAUSE THEY'RE FAMOUS AND GREAT" is the stupidest reason for remembering someone I can think of. Comparing The White Stripes to Jimi Hendrix? Absolute rubbish. Beck, yes. The White Stripes, no. And on top of that, a hell of a lot of people are remembered for being SHITTY, too, like the New Kids on the Block and Vanilla Ice.

If you want to attack the music I listen to, fine. But I listen to it because *I* want to, not because everyone else listens to it, or because it's the "cool" music. THAT'S the problem with MTV and corporate radio/music. It's mostly mind-numbing shit that pre-pubescent children listen to because everyone else is, or because it's the only thing they're exposed to.

And yes, 48&2, I do turn on the radio sometimes, and am greeted with pleasant surprises, but if I listen to it for too long, they get played over and over and over again, and it goes from a surprise to an annoyance.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote