View Single Post
Old 12-12-2002, 12:04 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Another thought...

I keep thinking and hoping that the music industry will put out a lot of good bands and things will change so that radio is actually good, and I like everything on it. However, I keep reminding myself that I kind of enjoy the fact that the music I really enjoy isn't mainstream. In a conversation with Shackled Eideon, he exposed a light that I'm still nursing, and trying to fully understand. He said that the music that we enjoy so much is something we have to search out and find, and the messages we attain from those songs we love to be stimulated by are deep rooted within the music. Now if that same message was instilled in simpler music, or if the music was "dumbed down" so that simpler minds could acquire the same enlightenment that we work so hard to find ourselves, then that same message gets de-valued and we end up being let down.

So then I think about the music industry again. Then I think about bands like Dredg, and Tool, and so many other GREAT bands that WERE given the opportunity to radiate (I'm not going to say shine, because they're much more subtle than that) and I have ::::shudder shudder:::: the music industry to thank for that.

So I think radio's ALWAYS going to take a backseat. At least in my car. And I wouldn't want it any other way. The only reason radio and television exist is to sell things. Same with the "recording industry". They live to sell things. So if I come across a local band that just fucking ROCKS, I'm going to support them in getting their art around, whether it be signed or not, it's gonna be good.

The "industry" will follow what makes them the money...
The "artists" will please themselves, and by doing so, please enough people that the industry will see them as a "product"...

Maybe then, the artist can use the "industry".

It'd be nice.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote