Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
Schism (With new intro)
Intension
46 & 2
Lateralus (With the drum duet)
Aenema

This was my 3rd time seeing Tool, and my first time seeing them at the Hampton Coliseum. I didn't catch the name of the opening band, but they were a sludge/doom metal band. They went on promptly at 8, and played 4 or 5 songs, and were done by 8:30. I thought they were actually pretty good, and the crowd seemed to be into them, or at least were polite about it. Only complaint was that the bass was turned up way too loud, which drowned out the guitar and vocals. Maybe that's their style; I don't know, but when I feel the bass in my throat, that's too loud for my liking. Anyway...

Tool took the stage right around 9, and launched into their set.

Hooker With A Penis - Great opener, and it seemed to get the crowd excited right off the bat. I could be wrong, but I think Maynard changed "...sips of Coke" to "...sluprs of cock," which I thought was brilliant. The lights flashed on the crowd during "Buy buy buy my new record," which was great, since inevitably, we all will. Can't wait.

Jambi - Really glad this one's still in the setlist. Not much to add; it's a great song.

(-) Ions - Not really a song, but a cool little visual nonetheless.

Stinkfist - The crowd went nuts for this one. I sort of got the feeling that Maynard is kind of tired of singing it, but maybe that's just me. It's one of those songs I could either take or leave when it comes to a setlist, but it's a fan favorite, and a good song, so no complaints.

Sober - Crowd loved this one too. The band still seems to like playing it as well, so that's cool. This was my buddy's first Tool show, and he seemed really jazzed to hear it, which made me happy to hear it as well.

Pushit - I was hoping for a bit more of the Salival version, as other reviews said that they're doing kind of a fusion. It still was, but they didn't really slow it down like I expected. Still a great song; I'd just love to hear them play it Salival-style, if they ever do that again.

Schism - Dug the new intro. Hopefully it's a little taste of things to come, but if not, it's still a cool jam moment. The visuals during this one were pretty awesome as well.

Intension - Nice visual feast. Left some of the crowd a bit restless, but people were still at least respectful for the most part.

46 & 2 - Man, what a great live song. The visuals really kick into high gear here. If this one stays firmly on the setlist for years to come, I'll be a very happy fanboy.

Lateralus - Outstanding. Definitely the highlight of the show, for me. The guest drummer was named Travis; I'm assuming from the opening band. Don't know his last name; sorry. This was the only time Maynard really said anything from the stage, and all he said was, "Travis, where are you?" before Travis came on, and "Thank you, Travis" when he left. Travis held his own, and Danny shook his hand afterwards. Nice to see the mutual respect among artists. Anyway, the visuals here are outstanding. And damn is this a great live song.

Aenema - Solid closer, nice visuals. The entire band came to the front of the stage and gave out guitar picks and drumsticks, etc. and waved to the crowd. Nice to see Maynard come to the front and acknowledge the crowd a bit. He wasn't particularly chatty this show, but he seemed to be into it at any rate. There were a fair amount of cellphones and camera throughout their set, so I was a little worried that might piss him off, but he seemed ok. I say that only because after they played the Richmond Coliseum a few years back, he made it a point to thank the crowd for making it easier for him by not recording with their cellphones all all of that, and I want Tool to enjoy coming to Virginia.

All in all, it was a great show. I've never been let down by a Tool show, and this was no exception. And I got to introduce a friend to his first Tool show, which is always a cool thing, as I know we all remember our first. The setlist was pretty balanced between Aenima, Lateralus, and 10,000 Days, which is perfect in my book. Would love to hear them do more from Opiate, but they were a different band back then, and maybe it's out of respect for Paul that they don't play many songs from those early albums. I had hoped to hear Ticks and Leechs instead of Sober, but I can't complain. Everybody else wanted to hear Sober apparently, so who am I to judge or strike them down? Goes without saying, but if you're on the fence about going to see Tool, buy the ticket and take the ride. You'll be glad you did.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

Hooker With a Penis
Jambi
(-) Ions
Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
Schism (With new intro)
Intension
46 & 2
Lateralus (With the drum duet)
Aenema

This was my 3rd time seeing Tool, and my first time seeing them at the Hampton Coliseum. I didn't catch the name of the opening band, but they were a sludge/doom metal band. They went on promptly at 8, and played 4 or 5 songs, and were done by 8:30. I thought they were actually pretty good, and the crowd seemed to be into them, or at least were polite about it. Only complaint was that the bass was turned up way too loud, which drowned out the guitar and vocals. Maybe that's their style; I don't know, but when I feel the bass in my throat, that's too loud for my liking. Anyway...

Tool took the stage right around 9, and launched into their set.

Hooker With A Penis - Great opener, and it seemed to get the crowd excited right off the bat. I could be wrong, but I think Maynard changed "...sips of Coke" to "...sluprs of cock," which I thought was brilliant. The lights flashed on the crowd during "Buy buy buy my new record," which was great, since inevitably, we all will. Can't wait.

Jambi - Really glad this one's still in the setlist. Not much to add; it's a great song.

(-) Ions - Not really a song, but a cool little visual nonetheless.

Stinkfist - The crowd went nuts for this one. I sort of got the feeling that Maynard is kind of tired of singing it, but maybe that's just me. It's one of those songs I could either take or leave when it comes to a setlist, but it's a fan favorite, and a good song, so no complaints.

Sober - Crowd loved this one too. The band still seems to like playing it as well, so that's cool. This was my buddy's first Tool show, and he seemed really jazzed to hear it, which made me happy to hear it as well.

Pushit - I was hoping for a bit more of the Salival version, as other reviews said that they're doing kind of a fusion. It still was, but they didn't really slow it down like I expected. Still a great song; I'd just love to hear them play it Salival-style, if they ever do that again.

Schism - Dug the new intro. Hopefully it's a little taste of things to come, but if not, it's still a cool jam moment. The visuals during this one were pretty awesome as well.

Intension - Nice visual feast. Left some of the crowd a bit restless, but people were still at least respectful for the most part.

46 & 2 - Man, what a great live song. The visuals really kick into high gear here. If this one stays firmly on the setlist for years to come, I'll be a very happy fanboy.

Lateralus - Outstanding. Definitely the highlight of the show, for me. The guest drummer was named Travis; I'm assuming from the opening band. Don't know his last name; sorry. This was the only time Maynard really said anything from the stage, and all he said was, "Travis, where are you?" before Travis came on, and "Thank you, Travis" when he left. Travis held his own, and Danny shook his hand afterwards. Nice to see the mutual respect among artists. Anyway, the visuals here are outstanding. And damn is this a great live song.

Aenema - Solid closer, nice visuals. The entire band came to the front of the stage and gave out guitar picks and drumsticks, etc. and waved to the crowd. Nice to see Maynard come to the front and acknowledge the crowd a bit. He wasn't particularly chatty this show, but he seemed to be into it at any rate. There were a fair amount of cellphones and camera throughout their set, so I was a little worried that might piss him off, but he seemed ok. I say that only because after they played the Richmond Coliseum a few years back, he made it a point to thank the crowd for making it easier for him by not recording with their cellphones all all of that, and I want Tool to enjoy coming to Virginia.

All in all, it was a great show. I've never been let down by a Tool show, and this was no exception. And I got to introduce a friend to his first Tool show, which is always a cool thing, as I know we all remember our first. The setlist was pretty balanced between Aenima, Lateralus, and 10,000 Days, which is perfect in my book. Would love to hear them do more from Opiate, but they were a different band back then, and maybe it's out of respect for Paul that they don't play many songs from those early albums. I had hoped to hear Ticks and Leechs instead of Sober, but I can't complain. Everybody else wanted to hear Sober apparently, so who am I to judge or strike them down? Goes without saying, but if you're on the fence about going to see Tool, buy the ticket and take the ride. You'll be glad you did.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote