View Single Post
batistuta47
07-30-2009, 10:36 PM

Solid show, not the best or the worst of the 7 I have seen (Hard Rock in Vegas playing Opiate was unreal, and VA Beach in 2001 was a very disappointing show mostly because the venue is potentially the worst on the East Coast). First time I have been to Patriot Center and was about 12 rows up from Justin even with the stage. Considering that vantage point the sound was good. Flood for the second straight show I have seen was again the highlight. The center of the show(Rosetta Stoned, Flood, and Aenima) was stupendous. All three songs seem to have been tailor-made for the live experience. Maynard was as animated as I have ever seen him (I unfortunately never caught an Aenima or earlier show). Jambi and Stinkfist both seemed marred by technical difficulties, but other than a brief hiccup in the second verse of Lateralus, they seemed tight par usual.

I am not complaining about the setlist, because the songs are great and they are playing the more challenging songs and they play them well and with enthusiasm. That said, it would absolutely make my day to hear them pull out an Opiate or Undertow song or two that I didn't expect (as I already said, Flood was the highlight the past two shows for me).

All in all another very enjoyable evening with Tool and well worth the permanent hearing loss in my left ear!

Tweak Bird wasn't bad at all. Had a bit of old live Who to them (with a little Tull maybe). Lost me when they went a bit avant garde in the middle of their set. One of the better openers I have seen with Tool.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.30.09 - Fairfax, VA @ Patriot Center

Solid show, not the best or the worst of the 7 I have seen (Hard Rock in Vegas playing Opiate was unreal, and VA Beach in 2001 was a very disappointing show mostly because the venue is potentially the worst on the East Coast). First time I have been to Patriot Center and was about 12 rows up from Justin even with the stage. Considering that vantage point the sound was good. Flood for the second straight show I have seen was again the highlight. The center of the show(Rosetta Stoned, Flood, and Aenima) was stupendous. All three songs seem to have been tailor-made for the live experience. Maynard was as animated as I have ever seen him (I unfortunately never caught an Aenima or earlier show). Jambi and Stinkfist both seemed marred by technical difficulties, but other than a brief hiccup in the second verse of Lateralus, they seemed tight par usual.

I am not complaining about the setlist, because the songs are great and they are playing the more challenging songs and they play them well and with enthusiasm. That said, it would absolutely make my day to hear them pull out an Opiate or Undertow song or two that I didn't expect (as I already said, Flood was the highlight the past two shows for me).

All in all another very enjoyable evening with Tool and well worth the permanent hearing loss in my left ear!

Tweak Bird wasn't bad at all. Had a bit of old live Who to them (with a little Tull maybe). Lost me when they went a bit avant garde in the middle of their set. One of the better openers I have seen with Tool.
OFFLINE |