View Single Post
Desert Rat
07-23-2009, 06:55 AM

Tweak Bird was a surprise to me. They are pretty good, but the vocalist should not sing. They sounded very 60's British rock, with some space-rock mixed in. The drummer pounds like a beast.

Anyway, on to Tool. I sat in the next to last row of 102, sneezing distance from the suites. Danny was in a Suns jersey, nice to play to the locals. (-)Ions DID kick off the show and was a good way to start. Jambi the only 10000 days song not performed when they came here last (re:Maynard hit with bottle incident, 9/9/06). so I was glad to finally see that song performed live. The band was perfect in 2001 and 2006 at Cricket, at USAC Tuesday, not so much. Danny, Justin and Adam appeared thrown off at least once or twice and that wasn't because they had extended Stinkfist and Schism. Maynard was impossible to decipher on his megaphone; Rosetta Stoned sounded like gibberish (I believe it was mentioned), making it harder to follow until past the 'you are the chosen one' part. Regardless, that song is a must for a Tool show. Adam and Justin were more animated than I have ever seen on stage. I liked the circle of circular green lights that were going during Lost Keys and several other songs; it made it appear like an alien invasion to me. The lasers were a fine enhancement and were trippy as hell. The guys standing still together on stage for two minutes looked bizarre, as if they discovered some new far-off land. When the drums were being set up for Lateralus, Maynard told everyone, "where are you people going? The show's not over". The two-drum bobast gave me goose bumps, just as the lyrics in the song do. In Vicarious, he held the mic stand out like a schlong, pointing it at the crowd to sing the final high-pitched verse. The crowd did not seem to cooperate for that and Maynard peaced-out and left the stage while the other three were taking their curtain calls. All in all, another excellent show by Tool. Don't complain about the setlist, go to the show and enjoy it. Pay $40 for a t-shirt? I draw the line there...
Old 07-23-2009, 06:55 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.21.09 - Phoenix, AZ @ US Airways Arena

Tweak Bird was a surprise to me. They are pretty good, but the vocalist should not sing. They sounded very 60's British rock, with some space-rock mixed in. The drummer pounds like a beast.

Anyway, on to Tool. I sat in the next to last row of 102, sneezing distance from the suites. Danny was in a Suns jersey, nice to play to the locals. (-)Ions DID kick off the show and was a good way to start. Jambi the only 10000 days song not performed when they came here last (re:Maynard hit with bottle incident, 9/9/06). so I was glad to finally see that song performed live. The band was perfect in 2001 and 2006 at Cricket, at USAC Tuesday, not so much. Danny, Justin and Adam appeared thrown off at least once or twice and that wasn't because they had extended Stinkfist and Schism. Maynard was impossible to decipher on his megaphone; Rosetta Stoned sounded like gibberish (I believe it was mentioned), making it harder to follow until past the 'you are the chosen one' part. Regardless, that song is a must for a Tool show. Adam and Justin were more animated than I have ever seen on stage. I liked the circle of circular green lights that were going during Lost Keys and several other songs; it made it appear like an alien invasion to me. The lasers were a fine enhancement and were trippy as hell. The guys standing still together on stage for two minutes looked bizarre, as if they discovered some new far-off land. When the drums were being set up for Lateralus, Maynard told everyone, "where are you people going? The show's not over". The two-drum bobast gave me goose bumps, just as the lyrics in the song do. In Vicarious, he held the mic stand out like a schlong, pointing it at the crowd to sing the final high-pitched verse. The crowd did not seem to cooperate for that and Maynard peaced-out and left the stage while the other three were taking their curtain calls. All in all, another excellent show by Tool. Don't complain about the setlist, go to the show and enjoy it. Pay $40 for a t-shirt? I draw the line there...
OFFLINE |