View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 06:35 AM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/23 - Toronto, ON - Molson Amphitheatre

Hey all , Long time lurker... first time poster.

This was my first Tool show and first time at the Molson Ampitheater. The venue is awesome! I loved it, from the sound to the stage set up to the actual lay out of the bowl.
I was standing dead center lawns about 5 rows back with my bros. We were the 2 wearing black 10,000 days concert T's and smoking the real sweet smelling hashplant buds ( I was shocked at how much rank dirtweed was being smoked, smelled like schwag!) Anyways, I have to say I wasn't impressed with Isis, I know they have their fans on this tour but to me they sounded muddy and everything kind of sounded similar. The vocals were a mess, I dont know if this was due to short set up time for the opening band. After truly giving them a fair chance , I can say I wont be rushing out to pick up any of their stuff anytime soon (just MY .02)
After the guitar tech got some love from the crowd it was time for Tool and they did not disapoint. Stinkfist was great , there was an initial rush to the rail in the lawn section and no one could see anything until the security moved everyone back. I had some knuckledragger in front of me so it was off to find some short people to stand behind.
What a way to start a show! I didn't actually get the goosebumps until they pulled out all the stops with 10,000 days.
I can understand why SOME people weren't into wings1&2, but Tool albums are made to be felt, not just heard. It took me a few listens to wings and 10,000 days to "get" it, but once you get it you'll have a whole new respect for it.
Lateralus was great as well, vocals were a bit hard to hear during Rosetta stoned, extended bridge and double timed on Schism was truly an event and makes the tune that much better!
My only criticism would be that Maynard is boring to watch. I've read here that Maynard was "really animated tonight" and "thrashing around" and stuff.. Were you at the same show as me?! Cuz for me.. he rode an imaginary horse a coupla times and arched his back screaming but for 97% of the time he was out there.. he was standing by his pedestal... still.. just standing. Now Danny COMPLETELY makes up for this by just pummeling his drum kit. I watched in amazement, I just kept thinking " I can't belive he just played like this lastnight!" The guy must be in wicked shape I thought his arms would fall off. Wheres my deal with the devil?!?! I wanna do that too lol.
The rain was not really an issue luckily. I got drizzeled on but it kid of added to the overall ominous feel of the music and reflected the lasers through the drops and off the cloud cover nicely.
Tool fans were behaved for the most part, couple of drunks on the train home being loud but they were entertaining at least and kept me from dozing off.
Got home around 2 am, Niagara, and promptly was woke up at 8 am by my scred wife who let the dogs out only to discover somebody IN MY CAR!
Tool ticket... $57.
Tool T-shirt...$47.
Train ticket...$11.
Bag of weed..$0. ;)
Beer at the show..$10.50
Waking up at the crack of dawn and finding a drunk guy passed out in the front seat of your car because said F-TARD couldn't find his way home and your door just happened to be unlocked at 4 in the morning... PRICELESS!
5 Stars... Look out Cleveland!

See you next time round Adam, Justin, Danny and Maynard

PLEASE IF anyone has any videofootage of decent quality of this show, I'd love to have a copy of it!

Last edited by one percent; 09-24-2006 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: adding bottom text
OFFLINE |