View Single Post
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
06-30-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli
Just a few quick thoughts:
As far as the "peanuts parents / repeat experience" line, I can't make it out but I think it should relate to something that elevated him, since in the next line he asks "Will I ever be coming down?". Keep in mind that the latin prefix "Epi-" means above or over.
Also, I wanted to know your thoughts on the "Holy fuckin' shit" part. I don't think it's part of the story, I think it's something he interjects in the middle of the story because this was such a traumatic experience for him and he is having a very difficult time reliving the memory of the events which transpired. Just like it says later on in the song, "I don't wanna be all alone when I tell the story".
Last, but not least; How about "Needle-spooning"? Possibly referencing drug injections. That is what I heard the first time I listened and I related that phrase to the skynyrd song 'needle and the spoon'. Of course that song deals with heroin or meth, but, how the fuck would I know how E.T. administers sedatives?
Well to go along with your thoughts, if you've ever watched charlie brown specials you hear how his parents or teachers sound when they speak to them which is all muffled sounding, well within the context of the song and due to his "experience" he's either high or due to the incredible nature of his experience he thinks he's high and that coupled with the fact he can't hear the nurse and dr speaking clearly, he either knows he's high or thinks he is and wonders when he'll be coming down and be able to hear and feel normally again. I know what he means from personal experience.

So that's why I think it's peanuts parents, along with the fact I hear those two words and also I hear them even more clearly on the live versions.

As for fetal spooning, well I may be explaining the obvious, and I'm not sure where the phrase is coined from, but in utero you're in a fetal position and after birth, a fetal position (your knees drawn in close to your body and up close to your chin) is a comforting body position and that coupled with "spooning" which is when another person lays next to your body from behind you and mimics that position along the contoured bends of the other person for comfort and closeness, can make the person being spooned feel protected and safe as well as comforted.

I think that's perfect reasoning for the lyrics to be fetal spooning the in context of the story and song.

Last edited by SunBurN; 06-30-2006 at 11:30 AM..
Old 06-30-2006, 11:01 AM   #810
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08 - Rosetta Stoned lyrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli
Just a few quick thoughts:
As far as the "peanuts parents / repeat experience" line, I can't make it out but I think it should relate to something that elevated him, since in the next line he asks "Will I ever be coming down?". Keep in mind that the latin prefix "Epi-" means above or over.
Also, I wanted to know your thoughts on the "Holy fuckin' shit" part. I don't think it's part of the story, I think it's something he interjects in the middle of the story because this was such a traumatic experience for him and he is having a very difficult time reliving the memory of the events which transpired. Just like it says later on in the song, "I don't wanna be all alone when I tell the story".
Last, but not least; How about "Needle-spooning"? Possibly referencing drug injections. That is what I heard the first time I listened and I related that phrase to the skynyrd song 'needle and the spoon'. Of course that song deals with heroin or meth, but, how the fuck would I know how E.T. administers sedatives?
Well to go along with your thoughts, if you've ever watched charlie brown specials you hear how his parents or teachers sound when they speak to them which is all muffled sounding, well within the context of the song and due to his "experience" he's either high or due to the incredible nature of his experience he thinks he's high and that coupled with the fact he can't hear the nurse and dr speaking clearly, he either knows he's high or thinks he is and wonders when he'll be coming down and be able to hear and feel normally again. I know what he means from personal experience.

So that's why I think it's peanuts parents, along with the fact I hear those two words and also I hear them even more clearly on the live versions.

As for fetal spooning, well I may be explaining the obvious, and I'm not sure where the phrase is coined from, but in utero you're in a fetal position and after birth, a fetal position (your knees drawn in close to your body and up close to your chin) is a comforting body position and that coupled with "spooning" which is when another person lays next to your body from behind you and mimics that position along the contoured bends of the other person for comfort and closeness, can make the person being spooned feel protected and safe as well as comforted.

I think that's perfect reasoning for the lyrics to be fetal spooning the in context of the story and song.

Last edited by SunBurN; 06-30-2006 at 11:30 AM..
OFFLINE |