View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #44
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20
Re: 2006/09/07 - Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center

There were definitely problems with Maynard's mic last night. At one point (can't remember the song- Vacarious?) I saw him pulling the mic on the stand to him and singing into that while still playing the keyboard because something was clearly wrong with the mic mounted on the keyboard.

He also was barely audible during that first verse in Wings just before he walked off, so I agree with the above ^ poster there were more problems than just the emotions running through Maynard that led him to leave the stage.

I also noticed that Maynard barreled through the verses in Rosetta Stoned (throwing off the timing for the band) and the sound for his bullhorn contraption was pretty horrible and inaudible overall. He also botched a few lyrics here and there in other songs where he normally does not have a problem (although the thing he does leaving out 'ground' and 'down' in the second verse of Right In Two is apparently intentional).

The rest of band were clearly flustered and not as tight as usual in some spots. They blew the section coming out of the first verse in Lateralus, which is just not something they normally do. FYI, a sure-fire sign that something is amiss is whenever Adam turns his head towards Justin and Danny- that means either he just fucked up, or they did. watch for it tonight.

Bottom line- there was a price to be paid for getting Wings and Days for the first time. Maynard's energy and nervousness over peforming it for the first time in front of a home crowd (along with mic issues) were affecting everyone and everything it seemed.

Other than this stuff, the show was the best arena rock show I have seen. The mistakes and sound problems got trumped by a great light show, high emotions for Wings and an oustanding performance from Adam (best I have seen him). I think Adam was the emotional and musical anchor last night that everyone leaned on to get them through. The talk-box solo in Jambi was as good as he can play it.

/rant on

My experience was a little tempered by the fact that I made the mistake of bringing someone with me who hadn't seen Tool since Undertow. All she could talk about was how "Maynard doesn't move around like he used to!" and "He needs to come to the front of the stage and interact with the crowd!". She said that about 10 times and I finally said "Look, Maynard hasn't done that for the last 10 years, so it's you that needs to make the adjustment to him, not the other way around. This is what he does now." She then said, "Well, I don't like it" and I replied "Well I LOVE IT!". That shut her up for a while but then I had to hear it again after the show. Sigh... my other buddy who was with me had a great time. It was obvious that we were both moved by the show, and I can't help but wonder why some people can't just shut up with their dissenting opinions when it is clearly detracting from an otherwise special moment for others.

/rant off

See you all tonight!
OFFLINE |