View Single Post
Halfempty/full
05-12-2011, 12:03 PM

About the unreleased material: I remember reading a Lateralus-era interview (with Danny I think) here on toolshed where Danny said that there was quite some material from the Lateralus-sessions unreleased, and because of that, we wouldn't have to wait so long for the next album to be released (which we now know isn't true). However, my guess is that he was referring to jams, bits and pieces instead of completed songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzle View Post
I wonder if it is some kind limited pressing only for promo purposes for example. 30 seems so small amount to press anything for public and to me something like promo pressing seems to be only thing to make sense of so small number of copies. But what occasion would Tool need something like this for? The time they changed their rec company? I don't think so. Festival/Concert organizer abroad? That doesn't seem too plausible either..

Thoughts?
Tool have released quite some promo-items . You can find them here: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Tool+%282%29#t=Releases_Miscellaneous&q=&p=1 and here: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Tool+%282%29#t=Releases_Miscellaneous&q=&p=1

And if you're wondering why they would release promo's, wikipedia says: "A promotional recording, or promo (more recently known as a radio single), is a recording issued on Vinyl, 8-track, Cassette, CD, MP3, VHS, DVD, or Blu-ray, and generally distributed free in order to promote a commercial recording. Promos are usually sent out to music radio and television stations, music journalists and reviewers in advance of the official release date so that their reviews will appear in the current publications, and DJs. They are often distributed in plain white packaging, without the text or artwork that appears on the commercial version. "

So every time a new album, single or video (was about to be) released by Tool, also a promo was released.

If the Blair's story is actually true, I think the promo-hypothesis is the most likely one to be true, since Blair mentioned that the item containing the song was "never made available for sale". However, regarding Blair and the April Fools Day's Etiquette mentioned by hellboy, keep in mind that with Blair everyday is April Fools.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #61
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Tool: Problem 8 (Reimann hypothesis) Real or fake?

About the unreleased material: I remember reading a Lateralus-era interview (with Danny I think) here on toolshed where Danny said that there was quite some material from the Lateralus-sessions unreleased, and because of that, we wouldn't have to wait so long for the next album to be released (which we now know isn't true). However, my guess is that he was referring to jams, bits and pieces instead of completed songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzle View Post
I wonder if it is some kind limited pressing only for promo purposes for example. 30 seems so small amount to press anything for public and to me something like promo pressing seems to be only thing to make sense of so small number of copies. But what occasion would Tool need something like this for? The time they changed their rec company? I don't think so. Festival/Concert organizer abroad? That doesn't seem too plausible either..

Thoughts?
Tool have released quite some promo-items . You can find them here: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Tool+%282%29#t=Releases_Miscellaneous&q=&p=1 and here: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Tool+%282%29#t=Releases_Miscellaneous&q=&p=1

And if you're wondering why they would release promo's, wikipedia says: "A promotional recording, or promo (more recently known as a radio single), is a recording issued on Vinyl, 8-track, Cassette, CD, MP3, VHS, DVD, or Blu-ray, and generally distributed free in order to promote a commercial recording. Promos are usually sent out to music radio and television stations, music journalists and reviewers in advance of the official release date so that their reviews will appear in the current publications, and DJs. They are often distributed in plain white packaging, without the text or artwork that appears on the commercial version. "

So every time a new album, single or video (was about to be) released by Tool, also a promo was released.

If the Blair's story is actually true, I think the promo-hypothesis is the most likely one to be true, since Blair mentioned that the item containing the song was "never made available for sale". However, regarding Blair and the April Fools Day's Etiquette mentioned by hellboy, keep in mind that with Blair everyday is April Fools.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote