View Single Post
Rotating_Energy_Field's Avatar Rotating_Energy_Field
06-20-2007, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyraje View Post
I am looking for some advice from those who have experience with some of the different music software that is available. The only programs I have any experience with are Propellerhead's Reason v1.0 Cubase VST4.

I play guitar, bass, and can work with a keyboard to some degree. I own a drum kit, but don't have the time to invest in working on that skill. So what I really need is software with some nice drumming capabilities. I've heard mention of a few programs including FL Studio, Reason, and Drum Kit From Hell. I've heard some examples of the mentioned three, but I can't assume that all I've heard is all that they are capable of, nor do I know how the programs work exactly (easy to use, very technical, etc...).

I suppose I should add that I'd like to spend around $300 or less.

I'd appreciate any advice any of you can offer. Thanks!
Do a search for Hammerhead, it's a free drum machine that comes with it's own samples as well as a userbank editor for you to import your own samples. If you recorded some samples of your drumkit, I'm sure you could make your own userbank in no time.

Also, if you're looking for some good music software in general you should go here: hitsquad.com/smm - you'll find that the bulk of it is shareware but you can find some really brilliant freeware programs that in some cases work better than the expensive stuff like Reason and Cubase. I've been using the free stuff from hitsquad since I started making music and I've found that I have a unique compostion environment thanks to it. In my opinion it's better to use a large combination of smaller programs to create music instead of using one or two big programs.
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning the ET revealed to me his singular purpose; he said you are the chosen one, the one who will deliver the message, a message of hope for those who will listen and a warning for those who do not. Me, the chosen one! They chose me and I didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school!
Old 06-20-2007, 05:59 AM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: Opinions on music software

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyraje View Post
I am looking for some advice from those who have experience with some of the different music software that is available. The only programs I have any experience with are Propellerhead's Reason v1.0 Cubase VST4.

I play guitar, bass, and can work with a keyboard to some degree. I own a drum kit, but don't have the time to invest in working on that skill. So what I really need is software with some nice drumming capabilities. I've heard mention of a few programs including FL Studio, Reason, and Drum Kit From Hell. I've heard some examples of the mentioned three, but I can't assume that all I've heard is all that they are capable of, nor do I know how the programs work exactly (easy to use, very technical, etc...).

I suppose I should add that I'd like to spend around $300 or less.

I'd appreciate any advice any of you can offer. Thanks!
Do a search for Hammerhead, it's a free drum machine that comes with it's own samples as well as a userbank editor for you to import your own samples. If you recorded some samples of your drumkit, I'm sure you could make your own userbank in no time.

Also, if you're looking for some good music software in general you should go here: hitsquad.com/smm - you'll find that the bulk of it is shareware but you can find some really brilliant freeware programs that in some cases work better than the expensive stuff like Reason and Cubase. I've been using the free stuff from hitsquad since I started making music and I've found that I have a unique compostion environment thanks to it. In my opinion it's better to use a large combination of smaller programs to create music instead of using one or two big programs.
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning the ET revealed to me his singular purpose; he said you are the chosen one, the one who will deliver the message, a message of hope for those who will listen and a warning for those who do not. Me, the chosen one! They chose me and I didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote