View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/12/04 - Leipzig, GER - Leipzig Arena

First of all, awesome concert!
I already wrote some kind of review for mySpace and i guess it fits here quite good as well.

time went by pretty fast, and so did mastodon. with only 45 minutes of playing, a fucked up sound and an embarrassing motionless crowd it was hard for me to believe that these guys were having any fun on stage, although it wasn't hard to tell their skills and the energy that their music carries. especially the performance of their gig's last song (i'm not into their song's names but it ends with a long instrumental part) was really impressive. mastodon left the stage and we had to wait about 30 more minutes until tool finally started their performance.

they opened the concert with stinkfist followed by 46&2 and jambi, so just guess how i felt after those three headbangers. during schism i tried my best to catch my breath and slow down a bit because i surely didn't want to fade out at my second tool gig as well :) lost keys/rosetta stoned also really kicked ass, although i kinda got the impression that maynard wasn't enjoying this concert as much as the other three guys did, as i'm pretty sure that he left out some of the stanca's lines and replaced them by blabber with less syllabies. this was also the last song after which i noticed adam taking a picture of himself with some small digital camera. next in line, sober came up and so did phil from motorhead. i totally loved the song with the additional guitar, and the great long solo he played even outperformed that. after finishing the song, the guys took a break and sat sown on the stage. my circulatory system appreciated that and i was glad to hear the crowd give the band long and powerful ovations.

they continued with wings pt one and two which was also the beginning for the laser effects to appear. by placing just a few mirrors on the stage and iirc two more somewhere on the ceiling they were able to create some really nice patterns and effects that i surely haven't seen anywhere before. in spite of this and three big and colorful glowing rings beneath the ceiling the most impressive visual was yet to come. at the beginning of lateralus a huge black cover in the back of the stage was let down and an amazingly big net of being covered the back of the stage, changing its colors due to illumination. to that time i got the idea that this might be one of the last songs they would play that evening, and so i managed to push myself away from the center of the crowd and moved forward as fast as possible, ending in the second line in front of the stage. vicarious was just awesome and so was aenema, which led me to lose my voice.

Just as I said above, great concert, almost perfectly played and the visuals were just stunning. I would have appreciated a setlist more different to the one they had in june this year, but still every song they played was great.
Hope to see them again, the sooner the better

Last edited by BadLuckFistFuck; 12-06-2006 at 04:52 PM..
OFFLINE |