View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/12/01 - Nottingham, UK - Nottingham Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJP View Post
To all the people who were queuing up outside from about 3:00 or 4:00 "HOPE YOU ALL ENJOYED THE SHOW" [by the way i was the tall dude with thick long brown hair] thanks for the beers!
Represent. Our early arrival ensured we got a spot right at the barrier, somewhere between Adam and Maynard. Great view of the whole band, and my first Tool gig - having been listening to them for the better part of four years, I was gosh-darn excited (if a little tired from a work shift in the morning).

Well, the quality of Tool's performance has been documented well so far and there's not a great deal more I can say other than that they delivered the goods to an amazing standard. I don't have much basis for comparison as I've never been in that venue before, but the sound was of surprisingly good quality. My only critisism was that Maynard didn't always come through particularly clearly, but when he did I was taken aback.

The highlight of the gig for me went like this: we had been chatting to a pair of the security guard chaps right in front of us. Both nice guys, the elder of which (I guess he was in his forties) questioned us about who we were there to see. He remarked at one point that when you'd seen as many bands as he had, they all meld into one - "none of that crap", he scoffed. At one or two points in the set I noticed he was tapping his hand on the speaker next to him. After Tool had left the stage, I stretched over the barrier to bid him farewell, and as we shook hands the last thing he said was:

"You know what? They weren't bad at all."

It was a nice reminder of how good, honest music reaches out to people. Wonderful gig.
OFFLINE |