View Single Post
spacemonkey
07-17-2010, 03:39 AM

This was my third time seeing Tool live and they don't disappoint. I've got some issues with Planet Hollywood though. I showed up at 7:20 for the 8pm show and spent 20 minutes circling the parking garage without finding a spot. I ended up parking at Ellis Island, which I'm sure wasn't the best solution but I had to park somewhere quickly, and hoofed it over there. I get in and have to wander around a goddamn SHOPPING MALL to find the theater. Once inside I miss the first half of the opener's set, which actually sounded pretty good. They charge me $4 for a frigging cup of water, the bathroom is a smoky mob scene, and there's no standing room. Most insanely the ushers were bitching at people for texting on their cell phones between the opener and Tool. The most absurd thing for a show which proudly proclaims, "Think for yourself; question authority." Just don't touch you cell phone or you'll get kicked out. A lady in front of me tried to snap a couple photos during the show and an usher grabbed it and spent three minutes deleting the photos. All while the show's going on.

Look, personally I think it's kind of stupid to try to take photos or record the show. Unless you're using professional equipment and have better access than a 63rd row ticket it's not going to be worth looking at later and right now you've got four of the best musicians in the world playing their balls off and some incredible visuals going off around you. All I want to do is immerse myself as deeply in this moment and this experience as possible and you can't do that when you're staring at a cell phone. Except for flash photography, which can actually affect the performance, who gives a shit? Telling someone between sets that they can't make plans for after the show is an incredibly asinine overreaction.

The show itself was incredible. Tool has never disappointed me, never a bad album or show. I particularly liked the flaming visuals for Jambi and well, 46&2 just floors me every time live. Crowd energy was pretty good on the way out the crowd kept breaking into a spontaneous cheer, at first I thought Maynard was making a surprise appearance in the lobby or something but it was just the energy from the show still vibrating through us. That's why despite some problems with the venue it's always worth the time and money to see Tool. It's worth my shredded vocal cords too.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:39 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.16.2010 - Las Vegas, NV @ Planet Hollywood

This was my third time seeing Tool live and they don't disappoint. I've got some issues with Planet Hollywood though. I showed up at 7:20 for the 8pm show and spent 20 minutes circling the parking garage without finding a spot. I ended up parking at Ellis Island, which I'm sure wasn't the best solution but I had to park somewhere quickly, and hoofed it over there. I get in and have to wander around a goddamn SHOPPING MALL to find the theater. Once inside I miss the first half of the opener's set, which actually sounded pretty good. They charge me $4 for a frigging cup of water, the bathroom is a smoky mob scene, and there's no standing room. Most insanely the ushers were bitching at people for texting on their cell phones between the opener and Tool. The most absurd thing for a show which proudly proclaims, "Think for yourself; question authority." Just don't touch you cell phone or you'll get kicked out. A lady in front of me tried to snap a couple photos during the show and an usher grabbed it and spent three minutes deleting the photos. All while the show's going on.

Look, personally I think it's kind of stupid to try to take photos or record the show. Unless you're using professional equipment and have better access than a 63rd row ticket it's not going to be worth looking at later and right now you've got four of the best musicians in the world playing their balls off and some incredible visuals going off around you. All I want to do is immerse myself as deeply in this moment and this experience as possible and you can't do that when you're staring at a cell phone. Except for flash photography, which can actually affect the performance, who gives a shit? Telling someone between sets that they can't make plans for after the show is an incredibly asinine overreaction.

The show itself was incredible. Tool has never disappointed me, never a bad album or show. I particularly liked the flaming visuals for Jambi and well, 46&2 just floors me every time live. Crowd energy was pretty good on the way out the crowd kept breaking into a spontaneous cheer, at first I thought Maynard was making a surprise appearance in the lobby or something but it was just the energy from the show still vibrating through us. That's why despite some problems with the venue it's always worth the time and money to see Tool. It's worth my shredded vocal cords too.
OFFLINE |