Thread: Chaos magic.
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2002, 11:06 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
"Initiation"

If you're not acquainted with Magickal philosophy, this may (i.e. will) seem a) a little dense, and b) total bollocks. My apologies.

The reference to 4* in the FAQ as an Army term for a Cadet with a year's experience and progress behind them (1) complements your observations.
This evolution via breaking through one's inner-walls and defences to leave yourself vulnerable gives one the ability to experience life. As every magician knows, your greatest enemy is yourself; The only boundaries which exist are those limitations you impose upon yourself [a gross oversimplification, I know, but there it is].
Personally, this interpretation means a lot to me, as the song actually helped me overcome a group of fears which had restricted me for far too long... Which really frightens me at times. Oh well.
Another thought which plays across my mind is that 4* is referring to the 4=7 grade of G.D./R.C. systems(2); That the figure is in Netzach, and the song has a heavy element of the necessity to take action... Also, it is here that the [insert agreeable phrase for a practicing student of Magick] of this system prepares to leave the Outer Order of the G.D. and enter the R.C. and Tiphareth i.e. Starts to seriously break himself down in order to attain KCHGA(3). Just a thought. I could ramble on about Horus as the Initiator and the struggle of the Initiate but I think I've talked enough shit for one evening.
These are just random musings. I don't visualise myself at Netzach every time I listen to the song. Thought someone might find it interesting.

(1)"Maynard was at West Point Prep School / United States Military Academy Prep School for a time, hence references to the Honor Code ("I will not lie, cheat, or steal, or tolerate those who do"), to the term for first-year cadets (4 degrees) and to the term for brownnoser (tool)." -Tool FAQ

(2)Golden Dawn / Order of the Rose Cross

(3)Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel

Opinions section does indeed rule. If you're reading this, thanks for creating this forum. A fuck of a lot of people seem to be using it. Thankyou.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote