View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 09:31 PM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/14 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center

Just got back home from the show. Poured a glass of port and started typing this review.

There will be probably 300 posts about how great the show was, the set list, the frickin' laser beams...

What is hard to describe, though, is the energy of the show. From start to finish.

For one thing, the security there was great. Very friendly, easy-going, helpful, positive...much unlike the horror stories out of Houston. The crowd was also great. Very into the show without being belligerent or violent (a la Phoenix).

I don't know what show Phoenix and Houston were watching when Isis was onstage...but the negative reviews are COMPLETELY unfounded. They were really good...fun band to watch. KC fans should show up early and give them a chance.

After Stinkfist, Maynard mentioned that he was still sick, and then went right into The Pot. ATF jacket and all. Probably one of the toughest vocal songs for them to do. I don't know what it was about that song for them--whether it was the crowd response, or the fact that they did it so cleanly--but it was a complete turn-around from the past week of underwhelming performances. He shed the jacket shortly after and did the bulk of the show wearing nothing but jeans with a big belt buckle and a cowboy hat.

At one point during Rosetta Stoned, Justin motioned to Adam to look around the arena at the sea of lighters. As cliche as the lighter thing is, they seemed to enjoy it.

Before the encore, they sat on Maynard's platform and just looked around at the lighters that were out again. Talked back and forth a bit. Then Maynard said he had to piss so they were only going to play half a song. They did Lateralus, Vicarious, and Aenema as the encore. Incredible encore. Immediately on finishing Aenema (fuck these disfunctional, insecure urinals...have to piss...have to piss...have to piss...) Maynard took off, presumably to piss. But the rest of the band hung around for a long time, laughing, hugging... I saw Danny say to Adam and Justin, "That was fucking great". I think they appreciated the positive and respectful response from the crowd, and they needed it as well.

I've seen them play five times now. For whatever reason, this was the most energetic, most positive, and the most genuine fun they've ever seemed to have here. Anyone who's been in a band and played a series of below-par songs at a show, or a bad series of shows, can testify that it sucks the energy out of the live performance. But all it takes is one well-performed song to get the feeling back. I think for Tool, for this tour, The Pot was that song, and this was that show.

Leaving for ACL tomorrow morning. KC enjoy the show.
OFFLINE |