Thread: Best Album
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Best Album

Personally--and I would like to emphasize that so I don't hurt anyone's feelings thru the intertubes ;),

I don't really *want* to choose a favourite Tool album, but if my life depended on it (and my will to live was up to the trivial task) I would choose Undertow as the best album.

Strange because, technically (at least in my mind), it is their first album (Opiate being an E.P.), and I generally (as a rule of thumb) like a band's second album best. Go figure.

Cool, waffle done, now to real explaining... hehehehe...

I think that it defines the feel of the rest of all their music in a way that is very influential, yet also very subtle. I myself am a musician, and I think that (for better or for worse) a trained ear can discern more layers, dichotomies, contrasts, skill, timbre, etc. in music than an untrained one (whether or not that is self-trained is not important, I mean 'instrument trained'). Just my opinion (suspicion, really).

There's something about Undertow that is very subtle, and the way that it is subtle is what makes it so good. I can't tell you what it is exactly. It's more experiential than my vocabulary allows for.

I never used to like Undertow, until I listened to it constantly for about three days (well not literally non-stop), and then... a 'penny dropped', if you will.

Just to give you an example of this ephemeral 'subtlety' (executed in classic Tool style), play 'Disgustipated', and when the 20 minute long 'constant frequency never-ending' note is playing, put the volume REALLY loud (no, it's not dangerous and won't break anything unless you go louder than your ears or speakers can handle, and I don't mean THAT loud), and listen for a while. It will teach you to 'look closely' in life a little bit more, hopefully.

It's about the 'Undertow mindset' for me I think. That's its greatness.

That having been said, I think it's great that everyone can find their own reasons for liking/not liking certain music, it's the way it should be. Aweh! from South Africa (apparently Tool *might* be dropping us a visit soon, patience, I musn't be greedy...)!

P.S. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Maynard sing "I was wrong, this changes everything..." in every studio release since Undertow?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote