View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 10:16 AM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/13 - Chicago, IL - Auditorium Theatre

This was my third tool concert, the previous two being at the allstate arena during the Lateralus tour- but it was by far the best and one I'll never forget

This was my first time going to a conert alone. To make a long unecessary story short- friends and my brother refused to pay the increased prices. So I figure oh well, I'll catch the arena tour. But then I find out my buddy's birthday dinner is gonna be right downtown at 6:00 that evening. I couldn't live with myself if I was sitting 6 blocks away from the auditorium and not inside. So I buy a single ticket at the last minute and just go alone. If anyone saw me, I was in row CC next to the kid that was tripping out and going totally out of his mind most of the show. I also could be identified as probably that short guy who looks alot younger than I really am (20).

So needless to say I was a little aprehensive about going alone, but once I got in line and then saw the venue, i didnt give a shit. I was so excited just waiting I could barely stand it. The lights go down and its just me and the band, and thats all that really matters. The venue, the intimacy, just everything made this such a great unique experience. It was really amazing to hear tool clearly in a theatre rather than a shitty arena.

The band was great, I wont go into detail over maynard being sick etc and the setlist...I just felt privilidged to hear right in two live for the first time. The aforementioned stoned guy got a little annoying at times because he decided to scream at the top of his lungs through most of the songs. I know he's just having a good time- but I prefer to hear Maynard sing not you, and his vocals were already kind of low as it was. The extended schism made it all worth it too-that was amazing.
I'd have to say the highlight was Lateralus, it completely rocked and the entire audience was really into it.

It was also so entertaining to watch maynards "dancing." Compared to what we got on the Lateralus tour, he just seemed so much more lively and happy, I think that alone just added immensely to my enjoyment of the show. but I'm just completely blown away now, still even the next day. What a great experience

I also am thinking of trying to see them at the summer sonic tour in Tokyo in august. I'm studying there for the fall semester, and its about 2 weeks before I'm set to arrive...but if I can get plans set I may try to go and see them. I think tool in tokyo would be quite an experience..
OFFLINE |