View Single Post
tyroneslothrop's Avatar tyroneslothrop
05-01-2006, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panocha21
Or maybe this song is about God choosing some dumb ass fuck who didnt even graduate from high school to be the chosen one. This is why things are so fucked up right now. Good going God.
Setting aside evaluative judgements of religious traditions and religion in general, the suggestion of an "uneducated prophet" in this song does make me think of the Islamic tradition. The Prophet Mohammed was entirely uneducated when he received the Qur'an. In fact, he was unable to read or write. This is seen as essential to his Prophethood in the Islamic tradition for it is a necessary condition for the (intellectually as well as morally) pristine character that is requisite for delivering God's message.

Further, the beginnings of Mohammed's prophethood were quite terrifying in ways that are similar to the terrors described in this song. I highly doubt that any direct relation was intended by Maynard, of course, but I think it ties into the more general metaphysical status of prophecy.
"The greatest hazard of all, losing the self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss- an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc.- is sure to be noticed"-Kierkegaard
Old 05-01-2006, 12:19 AM   #12
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10
Re: Prying open my thir... god damn, I shit the bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panocha21
Or maybe this song is about God choosing some dumb ass fuck who didnt even graduate from high school to be the chosen one. This is why things are so fucked up right now. Good going God.
Setting aside evaluative judgements of religious traditions and religion in general, the suggestion of an "uneducated prophet" in this song does make me think of the Islamic tradition. The Prophet Mohammed was entirely uneducated when he received the Qur'an. In fact, he was unable to read or write. This is seen as essential to his Prophethood in the Islamic tradition for it is a necessary condition for the (intellectually as well as morally) pristine character that is requisite for delivering God's message.

Further, the beginnings of Mohammed's prophethood were quite terrifying in ways that are similar to the terrors described in this song. I highly doubt that any direct relation was intended by Maynard, of course, but I think it ties into the more general metaphysical status of prophecy.
"The greatest hazard of all, losing the self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss- an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc.- is sure to be noticed"-Kierkegaard
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote