View Single Post
Old 01-14-2004, 04:57 PM   #5
On Probation

Bincount™: 0
Re: God, you'll hate this one.

Jane-

You're right. I should've said "Me" instead of "it." That keeps everything in agreement.

Like I said, I feel that when he wrote it... I believe the majority of people would think it was about sex- and that was his intention.

I stated in my previous post that the only lines in the song where he's literally referring to sex would be "Take it up higher, 4 degrees now, 4 degrees warmer."

I don't know why he chose to write it like he did... I just give my opinions. However, like I said before, I think he says that line to just help disguise the meaning.
He knew people would associate that line with anal sex.... which automatically makes a person assume that is the song's meaning.

People think I am pushing God based on my opinion of the song. I'm certainly not. The meaning just sort of hit me out of the blue one day when I was listening to it. It was weird.

My opinion could be wrong... but I certainly think it's right.
I feel that if more people would listen to the song from this perspective.... they'd understand, too.

But if not, that's fine-
But I do think it's an opinion worth sharing because I feel whole-heartedly about it.

You say you don't believe in God. I certainly believe that Maynard believes in a God. I don't think you can write such beautiful, inspirational music and lyrics (especially on the Lateralus cd) without some sort of spiritual belief in something higher.

"Swing on the spiral of our divinity."

So even though you don't believe... that can change-
and I feel the more you listen to 4 degrees, the more your mind will change, too. - at least about the meaning.

Anyhow- Thanks for the feedback... and for the consideration of my opinion.

ThreeDeviations
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote