View Single Post
Old 01-13-2004, 12:12 PM   #3
On Probation

Bincount™: 0
Re: God, you'll hate this one.

Magdalena

"You won't do what you like to do, lay back and let me show you another way... Give in now and let me in. You'll like this in, Don't pull it out."

I feel that is just Maynard's conscience (God) speaking to him. God asking Maynard for consent to "show him another way." Asking Maynard to give in to his mind/heart's true feelings. God stating that "you'll like this... don't pull it out." (Meaning = you'll like Me [God] in your heart and mind if you open up to Me and give Me a sustained, honest try... so don't pull Me out of your heart and mind)

I think he uses words and phrases in the song that intentionally make people assume he's talking about something sexual. Like "give in now," and "don't pull it out" and "take it all in."
But that's just to sort of disguise the actual meaning.
Now when he says "Take it up higher... 4 degrees warmer." I think he's being literal there- and I'd agree that he's referring to anal sex.
But like I said, that's just to make help solidify the disguise.

There's far too much pain, hope, vulnerability and just general emotion in the music, and particularly, in Maynard's voice, for this song to merely be about sex.

I agree that those are some of the same emotions that you'd detect if the song were actually about "sodomy," too. I just don't feel that's what this song is about though- That's part of the beauty of the song. The way it's written. Maynard writes the words so carefully that you really need to consider all the other factors involved before you really try to form an opinion on the song's meaning. (not you, just generally speaking) Factors such as the music, and how it relates to the words is one example. Maynard's tone of voice, the pace at which he sings...the emotion in his voice... other variables and intangibles, too. When you consider all of them, that tells me that this song is way beyond Maynard wanting to stick his dick in some guy's ass--- even though it's written from that angle.

Phrases like…
Free yourself, from yourself.
Locked up inside you.
You won’t do what you’d like to do.
I’ll kill what you want me to, take what’s left and eat it.
Take all or nothing… just too short to push it away.

Those lines don't really support sodomy. But they all agree if you see it as God speaking to Maynard.

I definitely think the line "this brings us closer than dying and cancer and crying," solidifies that the song is not about sodomy.

The line just doesn't make sense when you perceive it from a sexual standpoint. I don't think Maynard just throws in arbitrary lines or words when he writes, either. He said that particular line for a reason... chose those words for a reason. "Cancer, crying, dying" are just random words under the sodomy perspective.

I think if you listen, and think about that line from the perspective of God asking Maynard to have Him in his heart all the time... and not just when Maynard feels he has to pray- then it makes perfect sense. . . along with the rest of the music and lyrics.

Also, I assume that when you think the song is about sodomy…. You’re hearing the song as if Maynard is singing or talking- trying to convince someone that he’d like to sodomize?
If so, why would Maynard be telling his “victim” at the beginning of the song to “get up, and free yourself from yourself.” How does that make any sense… since the victim in the song already is not a willing participant? (Victim is already “free”… he’d be freeing himself from Maynard- not “himself.”)

Then he says “just too short to push it away.” What’s too short? Life is too short to not want to be sodomized?

Just listen to the music alone in the song... and think if it is music that would support dick in ass, or something more significant.

Despite my conviction to what I think the song is truly about- I still appreciate your opinion-

ThreeDeviations

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 01-13-2004 at 12:19 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote