Thread: Schizophrenia?
View Single Post
JJunkhead
06-03-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE Mack
hey, if you like psychiatry, read the book by john e. mack (hence my screen name). he was a psychiatrist with faculty position at harvard who studied alien abduction.
oh, and one more thing. i think i completely missed your point Jjunkhead, but ilqua ruxa was right that according to the DSM-IV exclusion criteria, you aren't schizophrenic if your hallucination(s) was drug-induced.

sorry this is sooo long.
I enjoyed reading your post, thank you. It wasn't long.

My point....Firstly my post(s) on this thread shed some light on my view http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=48247
I guess I had 2 points The first was a criticism on the post by ilqua ruxa - "I'm a Psychology major with a particular interest in clinical psychology and schizophrenia. " - this does not make his/her opinion any more valid then the next person., it only shows an inflated ego and a certain arrogance.

The second point... Once science told us the world was flat. Science has educated ILQUA RUXA. The DSM-IV tells us one thing, but we are guaranteed that the DSM-V will tell us something different. In 1000 years, 10,000 years people will look back on today's science and laugh at how wrong it is/was. "Truth" in science has a very short life.

The current scientific view of Schizophrenia and psychosis is similar to the "flat earth" notion. Reading research papers on the subject and talking to professionals in the field, then talking to people who have actually experienced and recovered from it - they have two completely different views on the experience. Who is correct - the person who experienced psychosis or the professional who read about it in a book. Sadly many professional will argue they know better then someone who has been there - hence my post and the analogy of France. I expect ILQUA RUXA will turn out to be very good in his/her field, given the experience of time - after all he/she is a TOOL fan

I would like to distance myself from the anti-psychiatry groups, I share little of their views. It must be said that most people in psychiatry/psychology are trying to do good and on the whole the world is better for them, Yet unless you free yourself from yourself you will not be able to see a more accurate version of the truth.

If my post was longer then yours JE Mack I do not apologise :)

Last edited by JJunkhead; 06-03-2006 at 06:44 AM..
Old 06-03-2006, 06:41 AM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Schizophrenia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE Mack
hey, if you like psychiatry, read the book by john e. mack (hence my screen name). he was a psychiatrist with faculty position at harvard who studied alien abduction.
oh, and one more thing. i think i completely missed your point Jjunkhead, but ilqua ruxa was right that according to the DSM-IV exclusion criteria, you aren't schizophrenic if your hallucination(s) was drug-induced.

sorry this is sooo long.
I enjoyed reading your post, thank you. It wasn't long.

My point....Firstly my post(s) on this thread shed some light on my view http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=48247
I guess I had 2 points The first was a criticism on the post by ilqua ruxa - "I'm a Psychology major with a particular interest in clinical psychology and schizophrenia. " - this does not make his/her opinion any more valid then the next person., it only shows an inflated ego and a certain arrogance.

The second point... Once science told us the world was flat. Science has educated ILQUA RUXA. The DSM-IV tells us one thing, but we are guaranteed that the DSM-V will tell us something different. In 1000 years, 10,000 years people will look back on today's science and laugh at how wrong it is/was. "Truth" in science has a very short life.

The current scientific view of Schizophrenia and psychosis is similar to the "flat earth" notion. Reading research papers on the subject and talking to professionals in the field, then talking to people who have actually experienced and recovered from it - they have two completely different views on the experience. Who is correct - the person who experienced psychosis or the professional who read about it in a book. Sadly many professional will argue they know better then someone who has been there - hence my post and the analogy of France. I expect ILQUA RUXA will turn out to be very good in his/her field, given the experience of time - after all he/she is a TOOL fan

I would like to distance myself from the anti-psychiatry groups, I share little of their views. It must be said that most people in psychiatry/psychology are trying to do good and on the whole the world is better for them, Yet unless you free yourself from yourself you will not be able to see a more accurate version of the truth.

If my post was longer then yours JE Mack I do not apologise :)

Last edited by JJunkhead; 06-03-2006 at 06:44 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote