View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 07:46 AM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: God, you'll hate this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo's third eye
Yeah I know but the thing is in Judith he is pretty clear about his feelings for the christian god with the words fuck your god. I know its based out of anger over his mother's condition but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was clear about what he thought of her god. Now I somewhat feel maynard has accepted god in whatever way he chose in the recent music but on Undertow I just don't feel it.
I'm not saying he "accepted" God with "4 Degrees", I'm saying that the progression of feeling from "Judith" to "Wings/10,000 Days" is interesting. There's no acceptance on Undertow, he's relating a "god" asking the narrator to believe in "Him" with anal sex. For straight men, I think, anal sex isn't a pleasant experience (thus, there is no aceptance, but he's saying belief/trust in some mythical figure is akin to getting it up the butt, though the person suggesting belief/trust/sex is trying to make it seem desirable).

I think this song is closely related to "Stinkfist" in its analogy.

Though "Stinkfist" concerns drug abuse and sexual fetish while "4 Degrees" concerns religion.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote