View Single Post
win's Avatar win
05-05-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
To me, it seems the song climaxes ("details of our ending" part) and hits a logical end by 9 minutes and 39 seconds in, and then it kicks back in and goes on for another useless minute and half. For some reason this really frustrates me every time I listen to it. When Maynard screams right after, it always pisses me off, and I don't really know why. I just feel they overextended an otherwise good song. Sure, a little part of that last 1.5 minutes is OK, but it starts to get really repetitive and I would like the song a lot more had they trimmed it a bit. Any thoughts?

If you need to get the gist of what I'm saying, listen from 7:20ish to 9:39. Maybe I'm alone on this.
I know people are relating songs on this CD to other songs way too much, but I really do think of this song as another kinda of third eye. The length I think is important to its performativity. In a way this song, like third eye, is about and stylisticly made to be like an acid trip. An important part about thos eexperiences i s their overwhelming nature and duration. I must admit that later in the song (I think about 10:30) the song changes style, but then comes right back in to it and then it seems like less of a interruption and more of the chaotic nature of the whole experience. As far as length in general, I have no problem with very long songs, it one thing tool is amazing at doing well too, with great creshendos and build ups and ease downs
Old 05-05-2006, 07:45 AM   #17
win
Alive With Signs and Stars

Bincount™: 548
Re: Does anyone else this song should end at 9:39?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
To me, it seems the song climaxes ("details of our ending" part) and hits a logical end by 9 minutes and 39 seconds in, and then it kicks back in and goes on for another useless minute and half. For some reason this really frustrates me every time I listen to it. When Maynard screams right after, it always pisses me off, and I don't really know why. I just feel they overextended an otherwise good song. Sure, a little part of that last 1.5 minutes is OK, but it starts to get really repetitive and I would like the song a lot more had they trimmed it a bit. Any thoughts?

If you need to get the gist of what I'm saying, listen from 7:20ish to 9:39. Maybe I'm alone on this.
I know people are relating songs on this CD to other songs way too much, but I really do think of this song as another kinda of third eye. The length I think is important to its performativity. In a way this song, like third eye, is about and stylisticly made to be like an acid trip. An important part about thos eexperiences i s their overwhelming nature and duration. I must admit that later in the song (I think about 10:30) the song changes style, but then comes right back in to it and then it seems like less of a interruption and more of the chaotic nature of the whole experience. As far as length in general, I have no problem with very long songs, it one thing tool is amazing at doing well too, with great creshendos and build ups and ease downs