View Single Post
AlltheteainChina's Avatar AlltheteainChina
05-05-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat
I've seen two shows so far on the mini tour, and I know this is a warmup, designed to give the band a chance to practice before hitting the world with a huge tour. BUT, here are some things common to the first 3 shows so far:

Maynards voice cracking during more challenging singing parts (Sober, Schism, etc). I have seen him a dozen times before and never once did i hear his voice crack like that, the only time I hear something like that is when *I* try to sing along.

Maynard notably less active onstage. I remember the first time I saw them, I was mezmerized by how he moved to the music. Very unique. Bending over backwards, swaying, etc. Now he seems much more relaxed and un animated. He is talking more than usual though, maybe to compensate?

Singers don't usually hold up over time, think of other great tenors, many of them have had to call it quits before their 50s because the vocal cords just aren't as loose as they once were.
Well, I mean, it's not really his fault that humans age. Everything you say may be correct, but this is all common knowledge that we all go into this with, so the fact that Tool is getting older is not a great kick to the teeth to anyone. Maybe his voice isn't the same as when he was 30, maybe he is socializing more between songs, but to fault him for it? They're maturing, they're progressing, things aren't the same now as they were then, and they won't be the same in the future as they are now. Time to let go buddy.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #78
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 28
Re: Tool getting older

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat
I've seen two shows so far on the mini tour, and I know this is a warmup, designed to give the band a chance to practice before hitting the world with a huge tour. BUT, here are some things common to the first 3 shows so far:

Maynards voice cracking during more challenging singing parts (Sober, Schism, etc). I have seen him a dozen times before and never once did i hear his voice crack like that, the only time I hear something like that is when *I* try to sing along.

Maynard notably less active onstage. I remember the first time I saw them, I was mezmerized by how he moved to the music. Very unique. Bending over backwards, swaying, etc. Now he seems much more relaxed and un animated. He is talking more than usual though, maybe to compensate?

Singers don't usually hold up over time, think of other great tenors, many of them have had to call it quits before their 50s because the vocal cords just aren't as loose as they once were.
Well, I mean, it's not really his fault that humans age. Everything you say may be correct, but this is all common knowledge that we all go into this with, so the fact that Tool is getting older is not a great kick to the teeth to anyone. Maybe his voice isn't the same as when he was 30, maybe he is socializing more between songs, but to fault him for it? They're maturing, they're progressing, things aren't the same now as they were then, and they won't be the same in the future as they are now. Time to let go buddy.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote