View Single Post
booda2b
08-03-2009, 12:39 PM

Having been to at least one show for every tour since 1997 (on west coast, several now on east coast, best being 5/21/06 at Orpheum, Boston) and never seen a less than spectacular show, it is hard to say this, but last night's show had disappointing moments. I don't know if Maynard's mic was not able to handle the intensity of the screaming parts in Rosetta Stoned or he just shut up and saved his voice, or was incapable. It was downright anti-climactic and left me frustrated and sad. Since reviews of previous shows on this tour mention vocal issues, it seems it would have been fixed if it was technical. My concern is that Maynard has to lay off using his voice to full capacity for some reason. I can't imagine it is just being lazy...seems illogical, but maybe I'm in denial cause I just respect him and the band so much having experienced every show being mind-blowing over 12 years. Perhaps it's not laziness, but his creative energy moving into puscifer, cadeus, and other artistic pursuits. As an artist, I know creative focus can move into new areas making it impossible to put heart into replication of previous material. It's just a guess and easier for me to accept than laziness. Whatever the reason, I enjoyed experiencing them again, the band as a whole was awesome as always, love to be surrounded by Tool fans (they are a pleasure to be with overall) and would have attended gladly anyway if I had pre-cognizance of the shortfalls of last night. Perhaps this was my last opportunity to experience a live Tool performance if they close shop on it and I look forward to what's next.....whisperings of puscifer in the fall? To add another band shirt worn to last night's show, I chose my old Metallica girlie shirt for cool comfort in the steamy weather conditions....my old Tool T's just too mannish and hot to wear. Wish I could get some of that wine delivered to Vermont, but may be able to get in New Hampshire. Also. am checking into the Alex Grey artist retreat weekend in September in NY. See you all at the next opportunity to revel in the ecstatic moment whatever it is. P.S. The poster created for last night's show was a very nice piece, wanted it, but no $$. Maybe can get one later online. - Marie
Old 08-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08.02.09 - Manchester, NH @ Verizon Wireless Arena

Having been to at least one show for every tour since 1997 (on west coast, several now on east coast, best being 5/21/06 at Orpheum, Boston) and never seen a less than spectacular show, it is hard to say this, but last night's show had disappointing moments. I don't know if Maynard's mic was not able to handle the intensity of the screaming parts in Rosetta Stoned or he just shut up and saved his voice, or was incapable. It was downright anti-climactic and left me frustrated and sad. Since reviews of previous shows on this tour mention vocal issues, it seems it would have been fixed if it was technical. My concern is that Maynard has to lay off using his voice to full capacity for some reason. I can't imagine it is just being lazy...seems illogical, but maybe I'm in denial cause I just respect him and the band so much having experienced every show being mind-blowing over 12 years. Perhaps it's not laziness, but his creative energy moving into puscifer, cadeus, and other artistic pursuits. As an artist, I know creative focus can move into new areas making it impossible to put heart into replication of previous material. It's just a guess and easier for me to accept than laziness. Whatever the reason, I enjoyed experiencing them again, the band as a whole was awesome as always, love to be surrounded by Tool fans (they are a pleasure to be with overall) and would have attended gladly anyway if I had pre-cognizance of the shortfalls of last night. Perhaps this was my last opportunity to experience a live Tool performance if they close shop on it and I look forward to what's next.....whisperings of puscifer in the fall? To add another band shirt worn to last night's show, I chose my old Metallica girlie shirt for cool comfort in the steamy weather conditions....my old Tool T's just too mannish and hot to wear. Wish I could get some of that wine delivered to Vermont, but may be able to get in New Hampshire. Also. am checking into the Alex Grey artist retreat weekend in September in NY. See you all at the next opportunity to revel in the ecstatic moment whatever it is. P.S. The poster created for last night's show was a very nice piece, wanted it, but no $$. Maybe can get one later online. - Marie