View Single Post
vforvicarious
07-28-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimLoK View Post
6th tool show.
not the best but better than at least one, if not two i've seen in similar type venues. the best tool shows i've seen have been at outdoor venues. the sound mix comes though much clearer. in contrast to previous posters opinions, i think maynard intends for his vocals to be muddied and indecipherable at times in order, possibly, to evoke more of an emotional response to the music from the listener as opposed to a "mental" or "logical" response. notice on the 10,000 days album the vocals are mixed way down to almost blend with the instruments at times. i think they replicate this in the live sound mix. i personally don't mind it. tool still puts on a top notch, professional show.
I can appreciate this logic, but ultimately, it's bullshit. I paid to hear Adam play guitar, Danny play drums, Justin play bass, and Maynard sing. Three out of those four did their jobs incredibly well.

I'm all for provoking an emotional response, especially when it's a combo of incredible music and an incredible vocal delivery, which Maynard does quite well when he's not being a smug, pretentious twat like he was last night
Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.27.09 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnett Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimLoK View Post
6th tool show.
not the best but better than at least one, if not two i've seen in similar type venues. the best tool shows i've seen have been at outdoor venues. the sound mix comes though much clearer. in contrast to previous posters opinions, i think maynard intends for his vocals to be muddied and indecipherable at times in order, possibly, to evoke more of an emotional response to the music from the listener as opposed to a "mental" or "logical" response. notice on the 10,000 days album the vocals are mixed way down to almost blend with the instruments at times. i think they replicate this in the live sound mix. i personally don't mind it. tool still puts on a top notch, professional show.
I can appreciate this logic, but ultimately, it's bullshit. I paid to hear Adam play guitar, Danny play drums, Justin play bass, and Maynard sing. Three out of those four did their jobs incredibly well.

I'm all for provoking an emotional response, especially when it's a combo of incredible music and an incredible vocal delivery, which Maynard does quite well when he's not being a smug, pretentious twat like he was last night
OFFLINE |