View Single Post
thrdeye
07-28-2009, 10:39 AM

Well, this was show #6 for me over the course of 11 years. Not my favorite, but still great as usual.

I think the reason this show was not as enjoyable is because there wasn't that "easter egg" like there have been in the past. I really value the times I have gotten to see things like Opiate, Third Eye, Pushit (salival version), etc.
Overall, I really would like to hear a little more earlier stuff from Opiate and Undertow, but oh well. There are so many great songs and their catalog is so extensive now, that I'm sure it's hard to make a setlist. But wouldn't it be nice to just have "that one song" that they pulled outta their ass?

Also, I do agree that Maynard is somewhat out of it. He has always been aloof, but it sure seems like he had a lot more fun in 2002. That said, he behaved about the same as usual IMO, except that he didn't talk quite as much as he has in the past. I hope that we are all just over analyzing his performance. He did do the maynard shuffle during jambi, and that was fun. But there were two times that I really felt like he could have done better.

1 - At the beginning of aenema. He didn't do the breathing thing. Which for me is a big part of the song. It teases you a little because you know what is about to happen.

2 - The end of Vicarious. He pointed the microphone toward the crowd to sing the final "Vicariously, I...." lyrics, which are the most powerful part of that song IMO. I wanted to hear it.

As a vocalist, it is hard to show your passion for the lyrics and the music unless you are somewhat involved. I mean, just imagine him, at the very end of Vicarious, jumping off of his little podium and running out to the front of the stage to sing the final phrase. Woudl have been awesome.

I think what we all should do is take a step back and breathe a little, though. Folks like myself that have immersed themselves in this music over the past 15 years are going have an evolving perspective of what a good TOOL show is. As a whole, this was an excellent concert for those who only have become fans within the last few years.

Oh, the highlight of the evening was my friend getting me an early b-day gift - a signed tour poster.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.27.09 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnett Arena

Well, this was show #6 for me over the course of 11 years. Not my favorite, but still great as usual.

I think the reason this show was not as enjoyable is because there wasn't that "easter egg" like there have been in the past. I really value the times I have gotten to see things like Opiate, Third Eye, Pushit (salival version), etc.
Overall, I really would like to hear a little more earlier stuff from Opiate and Undertow, but oh well. There are so many great songs and their catalog is so extensive now, that I'm sure it's hard to make a setlist. But wouldn't it be nice to just have "that one song" that they pulled outta their ass?

Also, I do agree that Maynard is somewhat out of it. He has always been aloof, but it sure seems like he had a lot more fun in 2002. That said, he behaved about the same as usual IMO, except that he didn't talk quite as much as he has in the past. I hope that we are all just over analyzing his performance. He did do the maynard shuffle during jambi, and that was fun. But there were two times that I really felt like he could have done better.

1 - At the beginning of aenema. He didn't do the breathing thing. Which for me is a big part of the song. It teases you a little because you know what is about to happen.

2 - The end of Vicarious. He pointed the microphone toward the crowd to sing the final "Vicariously, I...." lyrics, which are the most powerful part of that song IMO. I wanted to hear it.

As a vocalist, it is hard to show your passion for the lyrics and the music unless you are somewhat involved. I mean, just imagine him, at the very end of Vicarious, jumping off of his little podium and running out to the front of the stage to sing the final phrase. Woudl have been awesome.

I think what we all should do is take a step back and breathe a little, though. Folks like myself that have immersed themselves in this music over the past 15 years are going have an evolving perspective of what a good TOOL show is. As a whole, this was an excellent concert for those who only have become fans within the last few years.

Oh, the highlight of the evening was my friend getting me an early b-day gift - a signed tour poster.
OFFLINE |