View Single Post
mondegreen
07-27-2009, 07:56 PM

Setlist was the same as the night before, much like I expected. I was hoping for a surprise, but none was to be had. I think one reason for the setlist not changing night to night is that the show is so intricate. The videos, lights, lasers, etc... all work in conjunction, and I'm sure changing that night to night would be a difficult task. That being said, I wouldn't mind to see the band strip things down a bit to allow for more flexibility in the setlist.

As for the performance, it was a good one. Not the best I've seen, but I don't think they'll ever beat the show I saw at the Tabernacle in May of 2001. For that matter, I enjoyed the 10,000 days show at Gwinnett more than this one as well.

Danny, Adam, and Justin looked like they were having a great time. Maynard put on a decent show, but seemed disengaged. I almost got the feeling that he's ready to move on. I hope I'm wrong, but if there is a weak link in the band it is him.

Adam's vocals on Jambi were fucked up tonight, and he looked pretty pissed about it. Maynard had a few little slip ups, most notably (for me, anyways) at the start of 46 & 2. The vocals during Rosetta Stoned were a complete mess, especially near the "I didn't even graduate from fucking high school" part. the drum solo during Lateralus was cool, espcially watching Justin play the bass with one hand whilst drinking a beer (Stella Artois, anyone?) with the other.

I was positioned near the front of the floor almost directly in front of Maynard. The crowd was pretty awful; it's amazing that so many idiots are attracted to a Tool show. Kind of ironic, really. Standing at the front of the floor I expect things to be tight, and I expect to be bumped, etc... However, I'm not too fond of being constantly elbowed/pushed from the back, and I don't take kindly to people trying to push in front of me (I waited an hour and a half outside to get my spot, if you want a better location get here earlier next time). In any case, the bucktooth rednecks to my left really wanted to ruin the show for me with the constant attempts at moshing, and some old fat dude kept sweating on me until I told him to fuck off at the end of Rosetta Stoned. I can't believe that those people spent $85+ for floor tickets just to act like complete jackasses.

Oh well, the show was still a blast, and I have a feeling it will be the last Tool show I see for awhile. Hopefully Maynard can recapture his energy and Tool can move forward as a complete band.

P.S. I could vaguely hear the soundcheck before the show, and I'm almost positive the played Hooker with a Penis followed by something that sounded totally unfamiliar to me (a new cover, perhaps???). Hopefully they'll work some of that stuff into upcoming sets.

Last edited by mondegreen; 07-27-2009 at 09:34 PM..
Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.27.09 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnett Arena

Setlist was the same as the night before, much like I expected. I was hoping for a surprise, but none was to be had. I think one reason for the setlist not changing night to night is that the show is so intricate. The videos, lights, lasers, etc... all work in conjunction, and I'm sure changing that night to night would be a difficult task. That being said, I wouldn't mind to see the band strip things down a bit to allow for more flexibility in the setlist.

As for the performance, it was a good one. Not the best I've seen, but I don't think they'll ever beat the show I saw at the Tabernacle in May of 2001. For that matter, I enjoyed the 10,000 days show at Gwinnett more than this one as well.

Danny, Adam, and Justin looked like they were having a great time. Maynard put on a decent show, but seemed disengaged. I almost got the feeling that he's ready to move on. I hope I'm wrong, but if there is a weak link in the band it is him.

Adam's vocals on Jambi were fucked up tonight, and he looked pretty pissed about it. Maynard had a few little slip ups, most notably (for me, anyways) at the start of 46 & 2. The vocals during Rosetta Stoned were a complete mess, especially near the "I didn't even graduate from fucking high school" part. the drum solo during Lateralus was cool, espcially watching Justin play the bass with one hand whilst drinking a beer (Stella Artois, anyone?) with the other.

I was positioned near the front of the floor almost directly in front of Maynard. The crowd was pretty awful; it's amazing that so many idiots are attracted to a Tool show. Kind of ironic, really. Standing at the front of the floor I expect things to be tight, and I expect to be bumped, etc... However, I'm not too fond of being constantly elbowed/pushed from the back, and I don't take kindly to people trying to push in front of me (I waited an hour and a half outside to get my spot, if you want a better location get here earlier next time). In any case, the bucktooth rednecks to my left really wanted to ruin the show for me with the constant attempts at moshing, and some old fat dude kept sweating on me until I told him to fuck off at the end of Rosetta Stoned. I can't believe that those people spent $85+ for floor tickets just to act like complete jackasses.

Oh well, the show was still a blast, and I have a feeling it will be the last Tool show I see for awhile. Hopefully Maynard can recapture his energy and Tool can move forward as a complete band.

P.S. I could vaguely hear the soundcheck before the show, and I'm almost positive the played Hooker with a Penis followed by something that sounded totally unfamiliar to me (a new cover, perhaps???). Hopefully they'll work some of that stuff into upcoming sets.

Last edited by mondegreen; 07-27-2009 at 09:34 PM..
OFFLINE |