View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 01:00 AM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
Re: 2006/09/18 - Chicago, IL - Allstate Arena

Second Tool show. Just got back. This was definitely not as good as the Chicago show in May, but still OK overall. Isis was alright, I guess. Sort of hypnotic (in a bad way) and un-exciting. Reasonable mood music. Ok, Tool - The visuals were lacking. Anyone that wasn't in the nosebleeds couldn't see it all, and they didn't use them to their full capacity until the last 1/3 of the show. Lasers were cool although the green (which was used the most) really clashed with everything else going on. Maynard was bitching about still being sick. Is he ever fucking not sick???

Setlist was the same as the last 2 shows, it's really getting kind of boring. Some variation would be nice. Leaving out Prison Sex and Parabol(a) is a crime. We need some Undertow, at least. Maynard didn't talk much in general, but sounded decent most of the time, until he pussied out on the ending of Vicarious. Lateralus was great like always, and like others are mentioning, it's becoming my favorite Tool song because of it's live effect. Wings/10'000 Days was pretty great, probably the highlight of the night... there were a couple moments when Maynard was singing near the end where the place was dead silent. Very cool. But then some asshole had to whistle...

Part of my negative reaction to the show is because right at the end of Schism, someone in the upper level water-ballooned a beer onto my head and fucking drenched me. Fuck you, asshole. I had to leave and miss part of LK/RS, which was OK... I saw it in May. Also, there were a bunch of obnoxious fucking potheads in front of me the whole time acting like total twats. Didn't seem like they had a clue what band was playing and they didn't really care about anything other than acting dumb. Not sure I understand spending $75 on a ticket for a band you don't care about, just to get high, but whatever. The other fans around didn't seem very friendly, unlike the show in May.

Don't mean to bitch. It was fun, just not as great as it could have been. Oh well, I'll see them again granted there's a varied setlist.
OFFLINE |