Thread: Wings for Marie
View Single Post
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-14-2006, 11:33 AM

My first post - yay after all these years (been reading pretty often for like 5 years)!!! And not that it matters, but I am arguably OGT - I bought my first copy of Undertow about a week after it came out, when I was 15. So I must start off by saying sometimes you guys are absolutely brilliant!!!, and other times, you are well... But I guess that's the way the world works anyway, usually a few snyde, arrogant, cynical little bastards with seniority screwing up things for everyone else. But afterall, we will take the bad with the good. Ok I didn't mean to get off on such a tangent.

Wings for Marie! - I could not wait to post any longer after reading this. I thought this name was the most out of place, and confusing (aside from maybe "The Pot" lol) until now. But now I believe it may be, at least, a very big part of the album's theme (obviously as 10,000 Days is "Wings part 2") I think this theory is dead on, and works out perfectly. I have been going over it in my head since they put "The Tracklist" up. To me, I really like it, and now I'm absolutely convinced, without one doubt, that it's the real and final deal. Maynard writes very esoteric lyrics, that can be perceived alot of different ways. And how his lyrics have evolved, well it seems to me they've become more personal and people based. APC has so much material towards this direction. But that is afterall what we love about them so much: a constant evolution, the double entendre, the dead on artistic expression, and the complex metaphores that grow and permutate in your mind over periods of years...

This track will be nothing short of epic. It will be, in my opinion, most likely - a magnificent ode to his deceased mother, with whom, from what I've read, he had a very complicated relationship with. And now she is gone, and being how introverted he is, it's probably affected him greatly, and this is his way of getting it out and wishing her well. I'm sure the band would go for that, and I'm sure we all will as well. I am now convinced it is going to be their opus, and will inevitably touch on love, hate, religion, destruction, creation, war, people, Jung, all aspects of human nature, and so many subjects as we have come to love and expect. If this continues off of Judith and The Noose (I believe The Noose is vaguely about her, or at least some aspects of his relationship with his parents), well, he is forgiving her and paying homage to her, and she has gone to her "heaven", and now she gets those wings she was after for all those years. Now it becomes clearer, and I cannot fucking wait!!!

My opinion of course, maybe I am reading too much into it - take it all with a grain of salt, but we'll see in due time, we shall see my friends.

Wings for Marie - I like it!! No, actually I'm starting to love it. It has been a nagging itch... Thank you for the insight, that was a stroke of genious.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #40
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61
Re: Wings for Marie

My first post - yay after all these years (been reading pretty often for like 5 years)!!! And not that it matters, but I am arguably OGT - I bought my first copy of Undertow about a week after it came out, when I was 15. So I must start off by saying sometimes you guys are absolutely brilliant!!!, and other times, you are well... But I guess that's the way the world works anyway, usually a few snyde, arrogant, cynical little bastards with seniority screwing up things for everyone else. But afterall, we will take the bad with the good. Ok I didn't mean to get off on such a tangent.

Wings for Marie! - I could not wait to post any longer after reading this. I thought this name was the most out of place, and confusing (aside from maybe "The Pot" lol) until now. But now I believe it may be, at least, a very big part of the album's theme (obviously as 10,000 Days is "Wings part 2") I think this theory is dead on, and works out perfectly. I have been going over it in my head since they put "The Tracklist" up. To me, I really like it, and now I'm absolutely convinced, without one doubt, that it's the real and final deal. Maynard writes very esoteric lyrics, that can be perceived alot of different ways. And how his lyrics have evolved, well it seems to me they've become more personal and people based. APC has so much material towards this direction. But that is afterall what we love about them so much: a constant evolution, the double entendre, the dead on artistic expression, and the complex metaphores that grow and permutate in your mind over periods of years...

This track will be nothing short of epic. It will be, in my opinion, most likely - a magnificent ode to his deceased mother, with whom, from what I've read, he had a very complicated relationship with. And now she is gone, and being how introverted he is, it's probably affected him greatly, and this is his way of getting it out and wishing her well. I'm sure the band would go for that, and I'm sure we all will as well. I am now convinced it is going to be their opus, and will inevitably touch on love, hate, religion, destruction, creation, war, people, Jung, all aspects of human nature, and so many subjects as we have come to love and expect. If this continues off of Judith and The Noose (I believe The Noose is vaguely about her, or at least some aspects of his relationship with his parents), well, he is forgiving her and paying homage to her, and she has gone to her "heaven", and now she gets those wings she was after for all those years. Now it becomes clearer, and I cannot fucking wait!!!

My opinion of course, maybe I am reading too much into it - take it all with a grain of salt, but we'll see in due time, we shall see my friends.

Wings for Marie - I like it!! No, actually I'm starting to love it. It has been a nagging itch... Thank you for the insight, that was a stroke of genious.