View Single Post
hellboy1975's Avatar hellboy1975
06-26-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle276 View Post
Interesting to see that the show has not yet sold out. As recently as last year, shows in 7,000 person venues such as Bill Graham in SF and the Reno Event Center seemed to be selling out in minutes. As far as I can tell, this venue is even smaller at 5,000 and is (so far) the only show of 2015. The guy who runs Tool's FB page even seems to be resorting to "get them before they're gone" sales tactics.

Of course, this show will eventually sell out, especially with Primus also on the bill, but the apparent decrease in enthusiasm by fans to grab tickets as quickly as possible may give some promoters pause in booking future shows without a new album to support. Perhaps this is a sign that the band can no longer rely on its fans to continue to shell out hard earned money to see the same old songs played for the umpteenth time. Hopefully this will serve as a wake-up call.
I think the fact that it's not on ticketmaster probably makes a big deal. Tool are popular, and deserve to sell out shows, but I suspect there's a whole load of manipulation going on that makes them sell out quicker than they really should.

That said, it's in Arizona and it's a festival, which would also explain why ticket sales are slower than they would be in a larger population centre.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #2113
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619
Re: General Tool Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle276 View Post
Interesting to see that the show has not yet sold out. As recently as last year, shows in 7,000 person venues such as Bill Graham in SF and the Reno Event Center seemed to be selling out in minutes. As far as I can tell, this venue is even smaller at 5,000 and is (so far) the only show of 2015. The guy who runs Tool's FB page even seems to be resorting to "get them before they're gone" sales tactics.

Of course, this show will eventually sell out, especially with Primus also on the bill, but the apparent decrease in enthusiasm by fans to grab tickets as quickly as possible may give some promoters pause in booking future shows without a new album to support. Perhaps this is a sign that the band can no longer rely on its fans to continue to shell out hard earned money to see the same old songs played for the umpteenth time. Hopefully this will serve as a wake-up call.
I think the fact that it's not on ticketmaster probably makes a big deal. Tool are popular, and deserve to sell out shows, but I suspect there's a whole load of manipulation going on that makes them sell out quicker than they really should.

That said, it's in Arizona and it's a festival, which would also explain why ticket sales are slower than they would be in a larger population centre.