View Single Post
surrealistone
01-19-2012, 10:13 AM

Intronaut must have played RIGHT at 7:30p (time on tix), as we got thru the doors by 8ish and heard music. By the time we got inside the colliseum, they were over. I'm kinda disappointed I missed them because they are a great, talented band. Tool seemed to go on quite abruptly; the lights went out, the stage lit up purple to a third-eye style heartbeat for about thirty seconds, and hooker with a penis erupted.

The band was definitely tight. Justin shaved his head and was really rocking out. Maynard seemed to be enjoying himself, even a little jolly. He interacted with the crowd, told us he is making wine with New Mexico grapes and even THANKED us! I sense a new leaf being turned over with the band. There was an immense, humanizing feeling about seeing them play this time. It wasn't so much of a "journey" as it was a beautiful ride. They jammed between a few songs, definitely grooving to stuff I've never, in my 13+ years as a fan, have heard. Maybe new material?

The visuals were bright, crisp and very trippy. They played behind 5 GIANT led panels, with Maynard and Danny on a platform behind Adam and Justin. I think there was some sort of transparent screen in front of Maynard and Danny, between Adam and Justin. There were two screens on either side of the stage, and two more screens above the stage. The laser lights projected out above the crowd and created wiggling "worms" on the walls of the colliseum.

For me, the most memorable part was Danny's drum solo on 46&2. As the solo grew, this amazing, vibrant flower of life began to form on the giant screens behind his drum kit. It slowly swirled and expanded, eventually creating a giant geometrical pattern as the song grew to an end. Lateralus was played with a guest drummer (intronaut?). Pushit was the aenima version. The whole show had a very "aenema throwback" kinda feel.

Oh, and I was tripping balls!

In conclusion: when u see tool, arrive early if u wanna see the opening band. Don't buy floor tix as you will have to battle with security and disabled people, plus you'll miss out on the whole visual experience because you'll be too close to take it all in. I'll never sit on the floor at a tool show again, as I've spent well enough energy in my early days scrambling to get as close as I can to see danny play. Their visuals nowadays are best witnessed from a distance.

There's a new leaf being turned in one of my favorite bands, and I'm proud to continue to evolve as a human along with them. Thank you guys for an amazing show. I am grateful and fortunate to have been a fan since Aenima came out and will always support their logical direction.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.18.2012 - Albuquerque, NM @ Tingley Coliseum

Intronaut must have played RIGHT at 7:30p (time on tix), as we got thru the doors by 8ish and heard music. By the time we got inside the colliseum, they were over. I'm kinda disappointed I missed them because they are a great, talented band. Tool seemed to go on quite abruptly; the lights went out, the stage lit up purple to a third-eye style heartbeat for about thirty seconds, and hooker with a penis erupted.

The band was definitely tight. Justin shaved his head and was really rocking out. Maynard seemed to be enjoying himself, even a little jolly. He interacted with the crowd, told us he is making wine with New Mexico grapes and even THANKED us! I sense a new leaf being turned over with the band. There was an immense, humanizing feeling about seeing them play this time. It wasn't so much of a "journey" as it was a beautiful ride. They jammed between a few songs, definitely grooving to stuff I've never, in my 13+ years as a fan, have heard. Maybe new material?

The visuals were bright, crisp and very trippy. They played behind 5 GIANT led panels, with Maynard and Danny on a platform behind Adam and Justin. I think there was some sort of transparent screen in front of Maynard and Danny, between Adam and Justin. There were two screens on either side of the stage, and two more screens above the stage. The laser lights projected out above the crowd and created wiggling "worms" on the walls of the colliseum.

For me, the most memorable part was Danny's drum solo on 46&2. As the solo grew, this amazing, vibrant flower of life began to form on the giant screens behind his drum kit. It slowly swirled and expanded, eventually creating a giant geometrical pattern as the song grew to an end. Lateralus was played with a guest drummer (intronaut?). Pushit was the aenima version. The whole show had a very "aenema throwback" kinda feel.

Oh, and I was tripping balls!

In conclusion: when u see tool, arrive early if u wanna see the opening band. Don't buy floor tix as you will have to battle with security and disabled people, plus you'll miss out on the whole visual experience because you'll be too close to take it all in. I'll never sit on the floor at a tool show again, as I've spent well enough energy in my early days scrambling to get as close as I can to see danny play. Their visuals nowadays are best witnessed from a distance.

There's a new leaf being turned in one of my favorite bands, and I'm proud to continue to evolve as a human along with them. Thank you guys for an amazing show. I am grateful and fortunate to have been a fan since Aenima came out and will always support their logical direction.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote