View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/12/03 - Oberhausen, GER - Konig-Pilsener Arena

Ok, let's see. My first Post and my first time TOOL live.

WOW, fucking awesome!!!

After missing my hometown gig (Düsseldorf), I really have been looking forward to see them in Oberhausen.

Like said before, the heavy rain was not nice, standing half an hour in front of closed doors, they let us in 30 min late. But waiting can be funny too, joking about chicks wearing just a pink T-Shirt in the heavy rain or guys in short pants ^^^

Well after a blunt all is easier to manage;)

The security was pretty much into checking for cameras, but some managed as you can see on Youtube.

After having a beer and some snacks Mastodon started at 8. I found the sound ok, maybe a little too loud, but not as bad as expected by reading the previous reviews.

Really heavy stuff, dark and fast into the face. Not so much my music, but some songs were nice. They played for 50 min, not bad for an opener. I felt sorry for them, they didn't get much attention, the crowd was not into banging at all. But they gave their best.

After Mastodon there was a break till 9:15. We went out, had another beer, another blunt ^^ that made me even forget I have become vegetarian 1 week before and ordered a Bratwurst

While inside nobody was allowed to smoke (hard security on that), in the hall nobody cared and everyone was smoking pott in front of the security guys :)

Ok, at 9:15 TOOL started. We were sitting in the 3rd row (108) but seats in front of us were empty (many people passed indoor passes through the gutters to get friends in front of the stage, too). We had the perfect view, not to close to miss the laser effects, not to far. The perfect place for a camera would that be.

Well, for the songs all is said above. Let me say just this:
Maynard said after the Rock am Ring Show in summer, beeing asked by an interviewer from WDR-television why there are no live DVDs or TV cuts of TOOL: "Have you ever seen the Rocky Mountans on TV"?

I thought, what a fucked up statement, but after seeing TOOL live, I must say: That guy was right!!!!!

Best parts to me were SCHISM, what I always have been waiting to see live and, of course, Wings 1+2.

The UFO lights were amazing. The lasers too. It is always a miracle to me what sound they get out of that 1 bass and 1 guitar.

Ok, the songs are described above.

To close, I must say, next time TOOL beeing near, I have to be there or screw me !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShaman View Post
Yes, I was the guy towards the bottom of section 107. I belonged in General Admission with the high that I was on. I didnt quite fit in with everyone around me setting while I was rocking out. I had a great time :)
Hey pal, you rocked cool ;) We were sitting above you and it was nice to see you in that mood. Don't bother for us Germans beeing a bit frozen. ;) Like 5m beside you to the right was a nice chick rocking like hell, too.
Yeah those security lights were really disturbing as hell. I felt like kicking them too, esp. in Wings part... They were checking everyone getting down to the stage, even near the end of the show, although the down area was quite empty. Did they fear us "bad black metal guys" will run the stage and start rumble? Chill down, don't you see that rock fans are the most peacefull of all??

Last edited by Amandil; 12-07-2006 at 04:53 PM..
OFFLINE |