View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: 2006/10/05 - Hartford, CT - Hartford Civic Center

3rd TOOL experience, and first for which Maynard wasn't behind his screen or whatever; seems to have left it for the time being in favor of his keyboard/vocal synth.

first off tho, i gotta say i was into ISIS (aside from the guitarist/lead vocalist seeming to think headbanging was part of his job description). i heard alot of dismissal of them as sounding alot like TOOL, and ok maybe they did. and maybe we'll eventually let ourselves just admit that TOOL's more or less the first band of a new genre of hard rock (or i suppose subgenre of metal), and other bands deserve to explore and create in that genre as well ;) ISIS' sound struck me as very similar to TOOL indeed, but much more high-end (tho not just treble) oriented. almost like taking the sound of every song on the deftones' white pony CD except "Passenger," and applying that sound to Ticks & Leeches and/or Third Eye. tho i can't really say if either ISIS or the Deftones are up to covering either of those songs...
liked the lighting for ISIS alot too; that said...

yeah, seems this particular venue does kinda suck; i was wondering why the show never sold out...
this should have been the best seating i've ever had for TOOL, and it -was- the closest. but then the place has permanent seating on the floor. i'm -maybe- a couple inches taller than MJK, which in that literal seating put most people's heads in front of me in direct line of sight with the band. considering that, and the design of the light show, as far as the visual side of things i can't help but think i might have been better off in second price-level seating. and since it's seating all on the same level surface, there was NO ROOM TO MOVE. Argh. i'm hoping they do a campus tour the second time around like they did for Lateralus, seeing them at Mullins would be perfect...

only other "bad" thing about this show for me was the guy a few rows behind me who decided to yell "SHITFUCK!" a few times in the beginning of Wings; man, whoever the fuck you are, you'd BETTER have been drunk doing that right then, all you did was make it sound like you should know just that much better. whatever.....

it was pretty apparent to me i was only getting a secondary perspective on alot of the visual effects, but the sound i was getting was just fine thanks. :D
they're doing jammy/experimental stuff more in concert in general than they even were when i saw them 3 or 4 years back, which i'm very happy about.
also i have to say i didn't appreciate Rosetta Stoned nearly as much before this performance of it. fucking LOVE IT. the "CB mic" unit MJK had strapped to himself (so he could dance/contort himself at will while using the mic, i guess) was a cool touch too, went well with the cowboy hat.
i didn't get into it as much as RS this time, but i can't wait to hear Jambi live again, have a feeling it's gonna lay me out the second time

heh um the comment about pittsburgh being louder (MJK's favorite joke? contender at least... ;) ) *was* followed by a joke about pittsburgh, something about it sucking for them to have "pitts" in their city's name, why couldn't it be "tiits", i didn't hear the rest clearly tho.

i thought the band taking a break and enjoying the sight of all the lighters was a pretty chill moment, particularly with Justin putting up his lighter for a long time as well.
funny how he seems to have been designated in particular to take some of the focus off Maynard, makes sense for the guys tho i guess, pretty counterintuitive role for a bassist.

k, happy to have experienced this with all you folks, was a good nite overall.
Namaste. :)
OFFLINE |