View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #118
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Re: 2006/09/14 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center

I haven't been able to get around to posting a real review yet, but I just wanted to add, while I was thinking about it...

One more lyric that Maynard changed during AEnema... "Don't just call me pessimist..." became, "Don't just call me "has-to-piss"..."

That's the funniest one, imo.

Well, part of my review would be...

... it's REALLY hard to pay attention to the details of the show when you've got people climbing all over you and your seat, with both hands holding full beer cups, and then slipping and falling and spilling said beer all over you when the folding chair gives way... or when the couple that was 5 rows behind you decides they're not happy with their seats, so they decide that it would be much better to stand in YOUR seat 2 inches behind you... or when 200 people decide to rush past you in the aisle, bowling over the poor security lady/ticket checker on their way to the front because they're not happy about their seats either... or when a pregnant woman shows up in the row in front of you 5 songs into the show, looking like she's ready to pop, yet she has two cigarettes behind her ears and a beer in her hand...

If you can't tell, I hate seats on the floor. It forces you to stand near people that you just might absolutely hate. I like to get to shows early, get my spot up front, and hold on to it. All the people who want to constantly leave to get beer and go to the bathroom and jump around and socialize and not pay attention to the incredible show in front of them can stand in the back and get in fights and generally act like idiots wherever they choose to... as long as it's away from me. TOOL... get rid of the seats on the floor. K'thanks. (Oh... not to mention it gives the scalpers more opportunity to make money. It's a *little* bit harder to charge someone $300+ for a GA floor ticket as compared to a front row floor ticket.)

*rant over*

Anyway, I guess now's as good a time as any to post some sort of review. Because I was travelling all week/weekend, I didn't have internet access after the Dallas show, so many people have already posted things that I would have said... like:

1) Maynard's comments/ jokes... This had to have been the most talkative I've seen him all year, except for Coachella, perhaps.
2) His dropping the water bottle repeatedly during R.S... Odd and funny. At the Gorge he was walking around the stage seeming to pick up and collect small things... cupping them in his hand. Maybe he just likes to act out in weird, OCD ways during that song. Dunno...
3) his leaving his platform during R.S., circling Justin and admiring his ass before grabbing it, and then returning to his spot... Obviously he was in a good mood and feeling frisky.
4) his grabbing his own crotch during AEnema (if he didn't have to piss, he really was selling the act)...
5) Justin was finger picking on Wings and then switched to an actual pick at some point during the song, I'm not sure when...

But those are all pretty much repeat comments. I guess the only unique thing that I've got to say is this... It really seemed to me that Maynard came out there thinking he had something to prove that night. After what happened earlier in the week, I think he really felt like he HAD to put on a great show in Dallas, despite whatever symptoms he might still have been feeling. I was really skeptical if he even WAS still sick at the time. He sure didn't sound like it. He hit more notes and screams than I would have expected. Hell... he sounded worse at McFarlin in May than he did last week at the AAC.

I saw 7 TOOL shows this year, and they were all good in one way or another, (as was every show I've ever been to), but this one just felt different. I was really moved that night, and I didn't feel that from any of the other shows I saw this year. I was even brought to tear(s) at one point... which hasn't happened at a TOOL show since sometime in '02, I'd guess. It didn't erase my disappointment from earlier in the week, but it definitely made it all worth it. As someone else put it, compared to Houston it was "...night and day. Night and fuckin' day." The rest of the band is always phenominal of course. But there's an energy onstage, contributed to by all four members, and if you pay attention, you can pick up on it. I think they all came together that night, and the energy truly was blazing. Kudos to the guys for that. Now let's just hope we get a makeup San Antonio show, as well as plenty of shows in the southeast US next Spring.
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
OFFLINE |