View Single Post
shaynes250
12-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Last night was my third Tool show and the best I've seen. My first show (Ænima/1998/San Jose, CA) left me with cotton ears for 3 days and though the music was great the environment was just not what I was prepared for. I'm not a mosh pit guy; I want to watch the show, not be part of it. The second show (10,000 Days/2006/Oakland) was awesome and as I drove home I wish I had brought my GF; the colors for the light show alone would have been worth the ticket!

To explain last night would be like trying to explain sex to a virgin, or why secular music is so much more palletable than religious music (except for, Matisyahu's “King Without a Crown”): the experience can not easily be explained in words the make sense to someone who hasn't experienced the real deal.

I brought by GF to this show and feared that her easily triggered startle reflex would make her uncomfortable, or perhaps. Every drum beat, strum of the guitar or screech from feedback could launch her from her wheelchair. My fears were unfounded, and as I should have remembered from when I first met her...never underestimate the capacity of a disabled person. She throughly enjoyed the show for the singing, playing, lights, extended songs and really good seat despite showing up right at the end of opening act Trans Am's set. She'd never been to a “rock” show (she's a country music girl) so I gave her several “hints” about the nature of a show like Tool's: VERY loud, mosh pits, smell of pot in the air, tightly packed people, etc. This was not the case Tuesday night, as sh ewas impressed with the following: Justin was rocking out 80's-hair-band style, Adam's ability to make a speaker stack squeal is amazing, Maynard danced a bit instead of hiding by Danny, and Danny with the hardest job of all was a blur of hands yet kept perfect time with arms flailing and legs pounding! To do what Danny does as easily as he makes it appear is...well you know, 'cause you're on t.d.n. The songs were played loud, hard but not faster than their studio counterparts. Everyone did his part and the audience went wild!

I think this show has opened her eyes to the world of music beyond country. Also, though I have never seen Led Zeppelin live, I state with confidence that Tool is the modern day equivalent of Led Zeppelin.

Notable highlights include: Schism had an extended middle part preceded buy a bit of the song where the tempo was accelerated (possibly doubled), Lateralus had a 3-way drumming exposition/competition/demonstration with Sebastian from Trans Am and Tim Alexander from Primus; an intermission wherein the lighting rigs right above the stage descend and point towards the audience mimicing UFOs. These UFO's provided a distraction while the band took a well deserved break.

I don't envy the life these guys live while touring but their time on stage is something everyone that should experience, regardless of music preference.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Dec 11 San Francisco, CA Bill Graham Civic

Last night was my third Tool show and the best I've seen. My first show (Ænima/1998/San Jose, CA) left me with cotton ears for 3 days and though the music was great the environment was just not what I was prepared for. I'm not a mosh pit guy; I want to watch the show, not be part of it. The second show (10,000 Days/2006/Oakland) was awesome and as I drove home I wish I had brought my GF; the colors for the light show alone would have been worth the ticket!

To explain last night would be like trying to explain sex to a virgin, or why secular music is so much more palletable than religious music (except for, Matisyahu's “King Without a Crown”): the experience can not easily be explained in words the make sense to someone who hasn't experienced the real deal.

I brought by GF to this show and feared that her easily triggered startle reflex would make her uncomfortable, or perhaps. Every drum beat, strum of the guitar or screech from feedback could launch her from her wheelchair. My fears were unfounded, and as I should have remembered from when I first met her...never underestimate the capacity of a disabled person. She throughly enjoyed the show for the singing, playing, lights, extended songs and really good seat despite showing up right at the end of opening act Trans Am's set. She'd never been to a “rock” show (she's a country music girl) so I gave her several “hints” about the nature of a show like Tool's: VERY loud, mosh pits, smell of pot in the air, tightly packed people, etc. This was not the case Tuesday night, as sh ewas impressed with the following: Justin was rocking out 80's-hair-band style, Adam's ability to make a speaker stack squeal is amazing, Maynard danced a bit instead of hiding by Danny, and Danny with the hardest job of all was a blur of hands yet kept perfect time with arms flailing and legs pounding! To do what Danny does as easily as he makes it appear is...well you know, 'cause you're on t.d.n. The songs were played loud, hard but not faster than their studio counterparts. Everyone did his part and the audience went wild!

I think this show has opened her eyes to the world of music beyond country. Also, though I have never seen Led Zeppelin live, I state with confidence that Tool is the modern day equivalent of Led Zeppelin.

Notable highlights include: Schism had an extended middle part preceded buy a bit of the song where the tempo was accelerated (possibly doubled), Lateralus had a 3-way drumming exposition/competition/demonstration with Sebastian from Trans Am and Tim Alexander from Primus; an intermission wherein the lighting rigs right above the stage descend and point towards the audience mimicing UFOs. These UFO's provided a distraction while the band took a well deserved break.

I don't envy the life these guys live while touring but their time on stage is something everyone that should experience, regardless of music preference.
OFFLINE |