Thread: New Tool Album
View Single Post
InertUniformity's Avatar InertUniformity
06-06-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62827 View Post
I feel like they've gotten that message across for that era of music
I tend to agree with you sir.

This can be understood in a different way, however, when you consider the band's music as a cathartic device, so to speak. I was very struck by MJK's comments in which he described the live performance of some of the band's material as "opening old wounds" (yes, I'm paraphrasing). These comments were delivered during the period in which the band was beginning to play "Wings/10kd" live for the first time. And it seemed to me that MJK was regretful of the fact that he had to perform this particular piece of music night after night. Generally speaking, he seemed regretful that he had even addressed personal issues in his lyrics at all.

So I wonder what his approach will be to this next record. I tend to view 10kd as a schitzophrenic album of sorts. There was a great deal of drug humor silliness(The Pot, Lost Keys, Rosetta Stones) mixed with a lot of uber-personal introspection (Wings, 10kd, Right in Two). Despite it being a "fun album" in my opinion, these two concepts never really coalesced for me. I mean, lets be real, what is the connection between drug humor and the death of MJKs mother? This question haunts me whenever I listen to the record.

So for the next album I hope MJK only gets serious about things he won't regret later, if you know what I mean. IMO, MJK is the only unpredictable member of the band at this point. With Danny, Justin and Adam, you know what you are going to get. For MJK though, it seems likely to me that the "sophmoric silliness" that is the Puscifer project, is a reaction to the more solemn aesthetic that is Tool. This could indicate that when MJK puts his "Tool hat" back on, he will be less inclined to write humorous, Rosetta Stoned-style lyrics. Maybe, maybe not. Who really knows right?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #308
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104
Re: New Tool Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62827 View Post
I feel like they've gotten that message across for that era of music
I tend to agree with you sir.

This can be understood in a different way, however, when you consider the band's music as a cathartic device, so to speak. I was very struck by MJK's comments in which he described the live performance of some of the band's material as "opening old wounds" (yes, I'm paraphrasing). These comments were delivered during the period in which the band was beginning to play "Wings/10kd" live for the first time. And it seemed to me that MJK was regretful of the fact that he had to perform this particular piece of music night after night. Generally speaking, he seemed regretful that he had even addressed personal issues in his lyrics at all.

So I wonder what his approach will be to this next record. I tend to view 10kd as a schitzophrenic album of sorts. There was a great deal of drug humor silliness(The Pot, Lost Keys, Rosetta Stones) mixed with a lot of uber-personal introspection (Wings, 10kd, Right in Two). Despite it being a "fun album" in my opinion, these two concepts never really coalesced for me. I mean, lets be real, what is the connection between drug humor and the death of MJKs mother? This question haunts me whenever I listen to the record.

So for the next album I hope MJK only gets serious about things he won't regret later, if you know what I mean. IMO, MJK is the only unpredictable member of the band at this point. With Danny, Justin and Adam, you know what you are going to get. For MJK though, it seems likely to me that the "sophmoric silliness" that is the Puscifer project, is a reaction to the more solemn aesthetic that is Tool. This could indicate that when MJK puts his "Tool hat" back on, he will be less inclined to write humorous, Rosetta Stoned-style lyrics. Maybe, maybe not. Who really knows right?