View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 06:59 PM   #101
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367
Re: 2007/01/31 - Melbourne, AUS - Sidney Myer Music Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by white horse View Post
Does Nick lurk or post here? Interesting that he echoes what a lot have said on tn.
Also FWIW InPress gave this show an excellent review.
I think he echoes what a lot of us felt about some of the performances. Which prolly just means he loves this band and feels gutted that they (or Maynard, or whatever) under-delivered....

I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with their setlist for this and other shows. Stinkfist? Again? Schism? Not even one of their standout songs (IMHO, and I know I'm not alone in that). Rosetta Stoned doesn't do it for me live. Take those aforementioned songs out and they could have played 4 or 5 others, like

The Pot (I still cannot come to terms with the fact this song was not played at most of the shows. Simply does not make any FUCKING sense to me).
Sober
The Patient (maybe?)
Right in Two (maybe?)
Eulogy or The Grudge

Ended up being more like a Tool's Greatest Hits!! (exclamation points thoroughly intentional, to put the point across how cheesy and awful Greatest Hits albums are).

Great for "new' fans or fans they are still trying to win over. But for the devoted and loyal followers, just not the best songs available.

As far as Maynard goes, I saw him at Perth BDO few nights back and as per my review of that show, I really thought he pulled finger, came down to Earth with the rest of us mortals, and gave 100%. The sound was poor due mainly to wind and maybe some mixing issues, and his vocals were affected more than the instruments because of this, but he definitely sang every lyric, didn't hold back on the challenging vocal shouts, etc, and I thought he danced around and performed well. Maybe he was faking it, but who cares? He was convincing and that's all that is required. After all, that's what defines a great actor.

Last edited by deuceman; 02-06-2007 at 07:03 PM..
OFFLINE |