View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 08:58 AM   #16
On Probation

Bincount™: 87
Re: The meaning to Parabol(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackschapman View Post
For the past year I have been drawn more and more to Tool. As soon as 10,000 years came out I got addicted to that cd and everything before it. Something about this song attracted me alot. It is my favorite song by far, and I can listen to it no matter my mood. For the past couple of days I have basically just been listening to it none stop, playing it while I was sleeping, working out, running, studying, anything. I have come to one conclusion after reading all these posts on what it means:1. Nobody in this world knows excatly what this song is about except MJK. Speculations only make things worse. Each of us trying to decode this in our own way, and putting our own spin on it, is only going to lead others stary. MJK made this song to express himself in some way that we can never fully understand. We are not him, and none of us have been in his shoes. We can all be experts on certain beliefs and religions, and we can try to know everything there is to know about this world. But we will never know what somone else is thinking. We can all agree that Tools music is amazing, and the lyrics of the songs are just as amazing. Its a puzzle that we can try to figure out, but the simple fact is that only one man has the key. Each and every one of us can connect any religion to this song, this song itself is a bottemless pit.

Maynard is a poet, one of the greatest every. Nobody can create lyrics like he can, and I dont think anyone ever has or will. I know alot of Tool fans I know get the chills just listening to him. Don't you think that one of the greatest lyricists ever wanted us to know something he would make it more clear? Maybe its the fact that Maynard writes about what he thinks about. Each of us thinks about life and what its for. While thinking about it, some people write things down on what they are thinking. Maybe this song and every single Tool song written is just speculation on life and its meaning. It doesn't have to be some hidden message about what the "Truth" is to make it interesting.

And shit, even if the song means nothing, and even if everything Tool has ever written means nothing, its still GREAT music. This is a band I am sure will still be on the radio and listened to 200 years from now.

What you say here about our speculation making it worse is completely idiotic. Something MJK has always said is that he does not give his meanings to songs so people can interpret them in their own way, which is a beautiful thing. It's not necessarily speculation, its taking whatever you take from the song to mean something to you. For example, I love this song and especially Lateralus, because, to me, and I know to a lot of others, the meaning is that life is beautiful, stop worrying about stupid shit and thinking about sensless things...relax, let go, and live. We should take what we want out of the songs...you are completely wrong.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote