View Single Post
Prem Kala's Avatar Prem Kala
02-11-2011, 12:30 AM

Having shared the last post, I'd like to share my opinion as to why Tool has been playing the same set list for several tours in the past.

-< I was reading some of the past reviews and it looks like several people were upset that Tool would play pretty well the same set lists.>-

If you have watched some interviews you will find that the band speaks about being vulnerable. A lot of fans don't like to just wait and see things first hand. Fans download the 10000 days album before its out in stores, people read others reviews before listening to the music, and several fans check the set lists of past shows prior to the show in town. Many aren't vulnerable.

People go to shows with an expectation of just what the band is going to play. Some fans just let a grammaphone record of the band's set list play in their heads during a concert...

Being vulnerable during a live show means turning off your grammaphone record (your mind) and listening like you don't know whats going to be played.

It looks to me like the band is playing with the egos of some of their fans by playing the same set lists and making little changes with the list in different venues...

The intro to Third Eye was played at the Perth show but the band jumped into Jambi instead of Third eye! I bet you that Tool did that for those who were reading the set lists of the other Australian shows. The other Australia shows had Third Eye as the first song and some must of expected that Third Eye was going to play again in Perth!

That moment probably gave many peoples ego a good shake.

I don't think the band is interested in given fans whats they want but more what they need (which is a big difference).... even if that means shocking their egos a little to get a glimpse of that vulnerable space.

.... you know.... like being shocked into that insecure, vulnerable, chaotic, confused space that Leary is talking about in the intro to Third Eye (Salival Version) !!!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.06.11 - Big Day Out - Perth

Having shared the last post, I'd like to share my opinion as to why Tool has been playing the same set list for several tours in the past.

-< I was reading some of the past reviews and it looks like several people were upset that Tool would play pretty well the same set lists.>-

If you have watched some interviews you will find that the band speaks about being vulnerable. A lot of fans don't like to just wait and see things first hand. Fans download the 10000 days album before its out in stores, people read others reviews before listening to the music, and several fans check the set lists of past shows prior to the show in town. Many aren't vulnerable.

People go to shows with an expectation of just what the band is going to play. Some fans just let a grammaphone record of the band's set list play in their heads during a concert...

Being vulnerable during a live show means turning off your grammaphone record (your mind) and listening like you don't know whats going to be played.

It looks to me like the band is playing with the egos of some of their fans by playing the same set lists and making little changes with the list in different venues...

The intro to Third Eye was played at the Perth show but the band jumped into Jambi instead of Third eye! I bet you that Tool did that for those who were reading the set lists of the other Australian shows. The other Australia shows had Third Eye as the first song and some must of expected that Third Eye was going to play again in Perth!

That moment probably gave many peoples ego a good shake.

I don't think the band is interested in given fans whats they want but more what they need (which is a big difference).... even if that means shocking their egos a little to get a glimpse of that vulnerable space.

.... you know.... like being shocked into that insecure, vulnerable, chaotic, confused space that Leary is talking about in the intro to Third Eye (Salival Version) !!!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote