View Single Post
ShiningOne
09-08-2006, 03:46 PM

Okay. Last post on this thread. I kinda regret starting it.

I guess the purpose of the original post was to kinda feel out whether or not the whole Occult/Mystic thing was just another thing Tool was doing to screw with people, like studying "Lachrymology". I'd ask them if I could. I doubt they'd give a straight answer. But in poking around this and other Tool websites, it sure seems a lot of people who DO take these things very seriously seem to congregate around this band.

So whether they are doing it as a joke or not, Tool's websites are a haven for a lot of atheist/agnostic/Occultist kinda people. Proof of that all over this thread alone.

It's a silly thing to debate. I was simply curious. To be completely honest, I was trying to decide (for myself) if listening to music with that kind of influence was something a person with my beliefs should or should not do. It's hard to really commit to what you believe in, especially when it means giving up something else you really like. Regardless of what your personal beliefs may be, it can hard to stick to them. I mean, a hardcore atheist may not care a thing about "Christian rock" (and neither do I for that matter), but he may dig the sound of a particular christian band. He can decide if he wants to listen or not.

That's all I'm trying to do.

On another note, if anyone is offended by my silly nickname, let me explain. It's the only one I've used since the mid-90s when I played Warcraft2 online a lot. I was part of a team called the death angels and we chose sinister sounding names. In one of life's little ironies, it actually refers to Satan. Go figure. It is from Isaiah 40 something. I never thought twice how it may sound pious in the context of this kind of discussion. I think it fits rather well with the rest of the names in this thread. Again, all apologies.

peace out.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:46 PM   #41
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Tool and the Occult

Okay. Last post on this thread. I kinda regret starting it.

I guess the purpose of the original post was to kinda feel out whether or not the whole Occult/Mystic thing was just another thing Tool was doing to screw with people, like studying "Lachrymology". I'd ask them if I could. I doubt they'd give a straight answer. But in poking around this and other Tool websites, it sure seems a lot of people who DO take these things very seriously seem to congregate around this band.

So whether they are doing it as a joke or not, Tool's websites are a haven for a lot of atheist/agnostic/Occultist kinda people. Proof of that all over this thread alone.

It's a silly thing to debate. I was simply curious. To be completely honest, I was trying to decide (for myself) if listening to music with that kind of influence was something a person with my beliefs should or should not do. It's hard to really commit to what you believe in, especially when it means giving up something else you really like. Regardless of what your personal beliefs may be, it can hard to stick to them. I mean, a hardcore atheist may not care a thing about "Christian rock" (and neither do I for that matter), but he may dig the sound of a particular christian band. He can decide if he wants to listen or not.

That's all I'm trying to do.

On another note, if anyone is offended by my silly nickname, let me explain. It's the only one I've used since the mid-90s when I played Warcraft2 online a lot. I was part of a team called the death angels and we chose sinister sounding names. In one of life's little ironies, it actually refers to Satan. Go figure. It is from Isaiah 40 something. I never thought twice how it may sound pious in the context of this kind of discussion. I think it fits rather well with the rest of the names in this thread. Again, all apologies.

peace out.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote