View Single Post
sonnyboy11's Avatar sonnyboy11
03-17-2014, 07:48 PM

My VIP notes

I just don't know how they keep doing it. Adam pointed out that out of all their peers who came to prominence during the the early/mid-90s, they're one of the few left still going with all the original members. So true. He also gave huge props to the Melvins and their influence.

Btw, question #1 for him in SD was about the set list. Of course! He gave a great answer, elaborating freely on the challenges of getting older. He later answered the "what's your favorite Tool song?" question with "Wings For Marie", although he initially said "I love all our songs!" The guy was refreshing in his honesty and candor, coming across as comfortable in his own skin. His passion for what he does... and us fans... was contagious.

By far the high point of the entire day was when he performed all of Jambi for us at full volume with a backing track of all the other instruments/vocals. He walked around the small room while playing, showing everyone an up-close view of his approach and style. "pass the goddam butter!"

Now, I do have some complaints about the VIP experience- not all that well organized, just ok swag pack, plenty of dead time waiting for something to happen (especially before sound check, which we got shorted on). And the gate keeper for the event had a major problem with anyone who tried to go outside what was planned. In fact, I feel like I spent as much time listening to him as I did anything to do with Tool. Not blaming him for doing his job, just pointing it out.

But between Adam, my ticket, and the eventual amazing performance, what can I say? Except... these guys have been, and still are, my favorite band. I've given them a lot of my money, happy to give them more if they're gonna keep turning in performances like last night. And junior- masterful. Maybe you haven't always loved these boards, but we sure as hell love the work you do.

On a personal, and cryptic, note, I had a couple of rough moments just before the show last night. Unusual situation for me since I am normally on top of it, but missed all of Failure. I am still dealing with fallout today. Suffice to say I got over my problems once I heard the opening strains of Third Eye. I actually have a pretty empty feeling today now that it is all over- great, Tool withdrawal.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 03-17-2014 at 07:50 PM..
Old 03-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #19
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20
Re: TOOL VIP EXPERIENCE

My VIP notes

I just don't know how they keep doing it. Adam pointed out that out of all their peers who came to prominence during the the early/mid-90s, they're one of the few left still going with all the original members. So true. He also gave huge props to the Melvins and their influence.

Btw, question #1 for him in SD was about the set list. Of course! He gave a great answer, elaborating freely on the challenges of getting older. He later answered the "what's your favorite Tool song?" question with "Wings For Marie", although he initially said "I love all our songs!" The guy was refreshing in his honesty and candor, coming across as comfortable in his own skin. His passion for what he does... and us fans... was contagious.

By far the high point of the entire day was when he performed all of Jambi for us at full volume with a backing track of all the other instruments/vocals. He walked around the small room while playing, showing everyone an up-close view of his approach and style. "pass the goddam butter!"

Now, I do have some complaints about the VIP experience- not all that well organized, just ok swag pack, plenty of dead time waiting for something to happen (especially before sound check, which we got shorted on). And the gate keeper for the event had a major problem with anyone who tried to go outside what was planned. In fact, I feel like I spent as much time listening to him as I did anything to do with Tool. Not blaming him for doing his job, just pointing it out.

But between Adam, my ticket, and the eventual amazing performance, what can I say? Except... these guys have been, and still are, my favorite band. I've given them a lot of my money, happy to give them more if they're gonna keep turning in performances like last night. And junior- masterful. Maybe you haven't always loved these boards, but we sure as hell love the work you do.

On a personal, and cryptic, note, I had a couple of rough moments just before the show last night. Unusual situation for me since I am normally on top of it, but missed all of Failure. I am still dealing with fallout today. Suffice to say I got over my problems once I heard the opening strains of Third Eye. I actually have a pretty empty feeling today now that it is all over- great, Tool withdrawal.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 03-17-2014 at 07:50 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote