PDA

View Full Version : Not Ready for this One

TheDude420
02-05-2008, 08:59 AM
So i finally got around to purchasing Salival, after a while of debating with myself and two hard faught losses to ebay i finally picked one up in pretty much mint condition. The booklet was pretty cool, really liked the live photos and the video stills. Havnt watched all the videos yet.

I got the cd out, ripped it onto my computer real quick and burned me a copy so i can put the real cd back in the case and not get it scratched. Listened to it from start to finish sans the majority of lamc but did experience the entirety of maynards dick...huh huh huh. But what caught me as soon as it came on was this song; WOW! First time listening to this song was absolutely magical. I was jamming to the intro and the tight bass line, then here the lyrics come; are we recording this in a Plasmonian Noid Capsule?!? People that were a part of that live were not on this planet anymore i somehow feel. Holy shit this song is good! Buzz and adams guitar work is outstanding, Justin tears up the Bass (i havnt heard the Peach version) and Danny is his usual king of the badass mountain self on the kit! Maynard.....sunuvabitch what a tight vocal distortion. Ive read it described as sounding like it was recorded in a monastary, which is a very good description. A very aqueous flow to his voice that will weave within your senses like a mental earwig.

I recommend this album to anyone who is a tool fan. Almost talked myself out of it, but im glad i got the real deal for the booklet and artwork and to have the original cd and dvd. Right now, while the new is still on it, this is my favorite tool release. Solid song choice, flawless performances, and this song, wow.

alichain
02-12-2008, 06:17 AM
I was amazed the first time I heard this song too. Monostary was the first thing I thought of, but in a good way. I love the way his voice flows through the whole song, its beautiful.

TheDude420
02-12-2008, 08:56 AM
I may have converted another non-tool fan into one with this song. Ive been trying to tell him why i consider tool as my fav band and he never gave them a listen. He had heard from somebody who had heard from somebody that maynard came out on stage one tour an done some really satanic things, all of which i quickly dismissed as i dont think Maynard would do these things. I finally printed out some lyrics to show him as he is like most of us, a deep thinker. He read Reflection Rosetta Stoned and something else. "Mind if i do a J?" i asked, so we partook, and in the parlence of our times, we burnt one. Went to the truck to listen to some tunes and i put on Reflection, decent reaction; next was the start of Salivals third eye, i could tell he was interested in, if nothing more, the complexity and mysticism of the sound. Then i put on You Lied and that set it off. My friend was thinking tool was a dark, possibly satanic, "heavy metal" band and this song proved otherwise. He noted Maynard's sweet vocals justin and buzz's guitar and danny and justins cohesiveness impressed him the most. Then we kicked off No Quarter as he is a huge Zep fan and i think he was impressed with their rendition of the song.

I just wanted to ramble today about it because that was really cool to me to have dispelled someone's misconception about something, especially a band as good as this one.

peace people, love yall

theamazingtool
04-18-2008, 09:01 PM
your not rambling man, i hear where your coming from. i recently got my 53 year old dad to zone out and get into TOOL. he listens mostly to marshall tucker, charlie daniels, zeppelin, frank zappa. he thinks mostly everything now is just "sreaming". but i was able to convince him otherwise. i burnt one with him, put on no quarter and he immediatley connected. i then played the pot to show him maynards amazing vocals. guess i just thought it was cool that i got my dad to actually listen to, and appreciate TOOL...

TheDude420
04-21-2008, 11:49 AM
yea that would be cool man, congrats

setvak
05-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I really have to admire the feedback in the beginning, it does a great job of setting the mood for the song.

setvak
05-27-2008, 05:26 PM
your not rambling man, i hear where your coming from. i recently got my 53 year old dad to zone out and get into TOOL. he listens mostly to marshall tucker, charlie daniels, zeppelin, frank zappa. he thinks mostly everything now is just "sreaming". but i was able to convince him otherwise. i burnt one with him, put on no quarter and he immediatley connected. i then played the pot to show him maynards amazing vocals. guess i just thought it was cool that i got my dad to actually listen to, and appreciate TOOL...

Nice job there, I just found out my sister is a fan of The Pot. Just the song, as far as I know... And it seems that this thread is dead? Is it a dead thread? Yessir, Fred.

Rolo
05-28-2008, 03:15 PM
"You lied" and all other live tracks are definately awesome.

For the rest, i find the quality variable; "Maynard's Dick" is O.K. i guess, "No Quarter" as i mentioned in another thread, i can't get used to listening to it entirly. As for "Message To Harry Manback" & "L.A.M.C" -> fuckin' waste of time/money.

clint750
06-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah great song. One of my all time tool favorites. Am I the only one impressed by the main scream at the end? You liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiied!!! . Best part of the song in my opinion.There was another cover song they were performing back in 98 during the same tour called Demon Cleaner but it was not included on any album. Another one of my favorites. Just wondering if any of the fans here remember it?

Esurient4Truth
06-07-2008, 12:23 PM
When a band does a song better than the original version, it's actually pretty funny. Tool's version of "You Lied" is awesome. Maynard doesn't sound like the only one singing though. I heard another voice. Buzz maybe.

clint750
06-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Thats Justin you hear singing.

inSin
11-25-2008, 02:13 AM
i love their version of demon cleaner.
'satan is the way'
'satan's the only way'
the comedian.. maynard.