PDA

View Full Version : Cutting "What" right in two?

ufopancakes
02-03-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm reading the book "2012, The return of Quetzalcoatl" by Daniel Pinchbeck, Personally reccomended to me by an artist that works closely with tool whom shall remain nameless.

There is a quote in this book from Patrick Harpur, an English writer, that seems very relivent to this song.

"The world can be cut any way you like, but the inclination of Western Culture has be to cut it in two: Spirit and matter, mind and body, subject and object, God and Nature, scared and secular... and so on, it seems, forever. But the Platonic tradition describes a third realm, which neither Christianity nor science allow. This third realm, both meditating between two halves of the world yet maintaining distinctions between them, is the realm of soul. It is neither spiritual nor material, neither inner nor outer, etc., but always ambiguous, always both-and. It is a "subtle" or "breath-body" which, Proteus like, can take on any shape."

I think Right in Two is a very significant song in understanding the album, which is probably why (correct me if I'm wrong) they haven't posted the lyrics to it as of yet.

Discuss.

ufopancakes
02-05-2008, 08:37 PM
By the way, for anyone that hasn't read or heard of that book... I highly recommend it. If you're skeptical, look up some reviews.

eyedriht
02-06-2008, 12:42 PM
I have said in a different thread that I thought it sounded like "cutting our world right in two" and everyone just kind of ignored me, so I said it again... and still no real response. At least I know I'm not the only one... I might have to check out that book too.

ufopancakes
02-07-2008, 08:49 AM
I have said in a different thread that I thought it sounded like "cutting our world right in two" and everyone just kind of ignored me, so I said it again... and still no real response. At least I know I'm not the only one... I might have to check out that book too.

People have a tendancy to ignore valuable perspective on this site... It wasn't always like that. I kinda think he's saying "Cutting light and love right in two"... or something to that effect... but even cutting our world is relevent, weather he is saying it or not.

Angel on the Sideline
02-07-2008, 09:06 AM
I've always thought Maynard was singing "Cut it right off, right in two".

Since you're in Indianapolis and Ramiro Rodriguez is a couple of hours north of you in South Bend, I'm guessing he's the nameless artist. Maynard has one of his paintings in his house, plus Tool used some of Rodriguez' work on Undertow. Anyway, I respect you keeping the artist nameless, just wanted to toss out my guess!

As for the book, it sounds like an interesting read. I'm going to check it out. When writing the lyrics, Maynard may or may not have been influenced by that (if he's even read the book). At any rate, Patrick Harpur's assertions seem to mirror what Right in Two is saying to some degree.

I view the song not so much as a reflection on Western culture, but as a sort of reprobation on all mankind for our destructive ways. Intension seems to support this with the "pure as we begin" theme. Basically, the earth once was pure, now it's polluted. Humans are born pure, but grow up to rape and murder. Earth is a violent place, and it need not be that way. Through our carelessness, we're ruining the planet and the human race.

That's my interpretation.

Thoughts?

Good starter, by the way.

ufopancakes
02-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Its not Ramiro Rodriguez, its someone much closer to Tool that I've contacted by email. I want to keep him nameless because I feel like he may have unwittingly given me an understanding to the hidden messages Tool is trying to convey (Which they obviously want to keep under wraps, and make people figure it out for themselves).

hemiola
02-07-2008, 09:55 AM
The big divide in our culture, the one which appears to stifle new thought in this 21st century, seems to be that of faith and reason; as the author says God and Nature, etc. This split is nothing new, Copernicus learned all about it 500 years ago. 500 years on this is still a large split in our culture by two concepts that do not have to be interdependent of one another. They can exist in balance, thus creating a third whole from the two parts.

I see this symbolized succinctly within the 'ying yang' (wu chi). The Yin, white, and yang, black, two opposites, blending into a state of perfect balance, or wu chi. The two gracefully flow together creating a whole, but also dependent on the other for acceptance, i.e. the dots on the wu chi, which are oftened viewed as decoration but are of much higher importance.

If faith and reason, and the main proponents of each, are never allowed to blend and balance, then humanity will never make it past the next step in the evolution of our conciousness. I always saw science and biology as an utter celebration of God and his creation, and faith as the celebration of a creator giving us these amazing senses and the gift of self evidence. I think when we can accept these concepts, thought will prevail and we can, as a whole, move on to bigger and better things.

Cutting God's love right in two (not a lyric, my concept). The loudest people on both side of the debate generally have to cut down the other side, both of which are the greatest gifts from God. Both sides believe the are doing what is right, yet they are terrible out of balance and only witnessing half of the picture, and using their 'half picture' to tear down the other 'half picture' therefor dividing the love, the concept, the all, right in two.

Inner_Eulogy
02-07-2008, 10:36 AM

Perhaps because it's blantantly NOT "cutting our world, right in two". However, Your_Goose...I mean Noose, I do like this perspective you brought up.

Inner_Eulogy
02-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Its not Ramiro Rodriguez, its someone much closer to Tool that I've contacted by email. I want to keep him nameless because I feel like he may have unwittingly given me an understanding to the hidden messages Tool is trying to convey (Which they obviously want to keep under wraps, and make people figure it out for themselves).

Yes of course, because they chose you.....the chosen one, yet you didn't even graduate fucking high school

Angel on the Sideline
02-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Hemiola:

Interesting. Read "The Language of God" by Francis Collins. It's along your lines of thinking.

hemiola
02-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Hemiola:

Interesting. Read "The Language of God" by Francis Collins. It's along your lines of thinking.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

On another note:
I've manipulated the hell out of the outro chorus part over the past year+, and the best I can come up with with any degree of certainty is:

"cuyyeee ma lowe, right in two"
or
"koiiii muh leaux, right in two"

There are only three consonant sounds (before 'right in two'). That is the only discernable fact I have deduced from said work. Arguments to the contrary seem to me to be an excercise in futility. (I realize this is an ongoing discussion in another thread in this subforum, but frankly that thread and others like it have turned into shitstorms of foolish negativity and should be avoided)

Back to the topic at hand, which is a good one.

Inner_Eulogy
02-07-2008, 02:40 PM
"cuyyeee ma lowe, right in two"
or
"koiiii muh leaux, right in two"

HUH?

hemiola
02-07-2008, 06:00 PM
I was half joking, but that is more or less exactly what it sounds like. Thoes aren't supposed to be words.

ufopancakes
02-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Yes of course, because they chose you.....the chosen one, yet you didn't even graduate fucking high school

I usually hate when people quote Tool songs on here... but this one was rather tasteful.

I meant to type *Better* understanding... becuase I've got a long way to go.

ufopancakes
02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
The big divide in our culture, the one which appears to stifle new thought in this 21st century, seems to be that of faith and reason; as the author says God and Nature, etc. This split is nothing new, Copernicus learned all about it 500 years ago. 500 years on this is still a large split in our culture by two concepts that do not have to be interdependent of one another. They can exist in balance, thus creating a third whole from the two parts.

I think in order to better understand this album, we need to figure out what caused this division.

Angel on the Sideline
02-08-2008, 05:37 AM
I hope I'm not over-simplifying here, but I think the answer to this one is somewhat easy. The division is caused by the imperfection of man. We are fallible creatures that are prone to self-absorption, greed, etc. (me included!). We like to be in control and are power hungry. That's why communism went from being a great form of government on paper to a lousy, corrupt tool of oppression. That's why organized religion turned from a celebration of faith in a deity to a lousy, corrupt tool of oppression (i.e. an opiate of the masses). That's why the Catholic church has spent millions of dollars over the last three decades to hide sexual abuse within its ranks vs. fighting to expose it. That's why Galileo was condemned by the church and placed under house arrest.

People get inebriated by power. It's a drug that feeds them and they crave it. When something threatens it, they must abolish the threat by any means.

Today, our world is cut "right in two" over oil, land, religious differences, racism, political lobbying, etc. etc.

Inner_Eulogy
02-08-2008, 11:43 AM
I hope I'm not over-simplifying here, but I think the answer to this one is somewhat easy. The division is caused by the imperfection of man. We are fallible creatures that are prone to self-absorption, greed, etc. (me included!). We like to be in control and are power hungry. That's why communism went from being a great form of government on paper to a lousy, corrupt tool of oppression. That's why organized religion turned from a celebration of faith in a deity to a lousy, corrupt tool of oppression (i.e. an opiate of the masses). That's why the Catholic church has spent millions of dollars over the last three decades to hide sexual abuse within its ranks vs. fighting to expose it. That's why Galileo was condemned by the church and placed under house arrest.

People get inebriated by power. It's a drug that feeds them and they crave it. When something threatens it, they must abolish the threat by any means.

Today, our world is cut "right in two" over oil, land, religious differences, racism, political lobbying, etc. etc.

Very well put. This I can totally agree with and this is in my opinion exactly what the song is about. Angels no the sidelide, benched along(side) patience and reason, wondering what the fuck these imbecile human creatures are doing.

ufopancakes
02-08-2008, 10:33 PM
You guys are on the right track, but I think you're falling short of the extensive symbolism and strong refrences to an ocean of information... I've only barely tapped into it myself.

I'm sure this is going to open me up for more ad hominum insults from Inner... Thats okay, though, he doesn't even know what that means.

hemiola
02-09-2008, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=Your_noose;2369666]You guys are on the right track, but I think you're falling short of the extensive symbolism and strong refrences to an ocean of information... I've only barely tapped into it myself.[QUOTE]

Can you give us some clues? For example, symbols? references? What have you?

ufopancakes
02-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Look at the pictures of the band in the album. It would be very lazy to assume that they laid everything out on their desk to just look pretty... that’s very unlike Tool. Tool is very deliberate... Watch the documentary of the Vicarious video. The 3d animators talk about how Alex and Adam were very particular, and how every detail was significant and symbolized something.

A good example would be Aliester Crowley. Tool makes all kinds of references to him, but his works are so complex and difficult to understand. There’s a lot of philosophy from him and other occult artists/authors that suggest that the earth was in complete harmony at one point... but something happened that caused life to see itself separate from everything else, despite the truth that its all one in the same.

Sadly, there are many people that are interested in Tool that take things at face value. I'm not much of one to speak, becuase I used to be the same until I heard about the supposed 10,000 days puzzle.

hemiola
02-09-2008, 12:42 PM
There’s a lot of philosophy from him and other occult artists/authors that suggest that the earth was in complete harmony at one point... but something happened that caused life to see itself separate from everything else, despite the truth that its all one in the same.

The conciousness of death happened. Then religion happened. Not much since.

Inner_Eulogy
02-11-2008, 11:09 AM
You guys are on the right track, but I think you're falling short of the extensive symbolism and strong refrences to an ocean of information... I've only barely tapped into it myself.

I'm sure this is going to open me up for more ad hominum insults from Inner... Thats okay, though, he doesn't even know what that means.

So. I never said that there weren't references and symbolism in Tool's music and art but, I do disagree that everything should be read into and over-analyzed as much as it is. Some things within their music simply are to be taken at face value and others are deeper but when somebody is trying to say that The Pot is about certain chakras and the third eye, they're way off. And if you think that eveything they do is supposed to have some super serious underlying message and meaning then explain Maynard's Dick. Lemme guess, that actually has to do with the lunar cycle and tarot, right?

ufopancakes
02-12-2008, 09:36 AM
So. I never said that there weren't references and symbolism in Tool's music and art but, I do disagree that everything should be read into and over-analyzed as much as it is. Some things within their music simply are to be taken at face value and others are deeper but when somebody is trying to say that The Pot is about certain chakras and the third eye, they're way off. And if you think that eveything they do is supposed to have some super serious underlying message and meaning then explain Maynard's Dick. Lemme guess, that actually has to do with the lunar cycle and tarot, right?

I'm going to reiterate myself.

The books on Danny desk are just for looks. They contain no real information. They contain no further insight into what the band is trying to say for 10,000 Days, especially illiterate fucks like you.

They've stated themselves that they make the lyrics so provocative to make people dig deeper.

You've listened to Lateralus too much, and you're using it to justify your laziness and your unwillingness to learn to understand. "Overthinking over analyzing separates the body from the mind"... I don't think he says that like its a bad thing. I suppose its better than being complacent and ignorant.

I never said that ALL of Tools music was like that, but 99 percent of it is. For example, AEnima ▼ doesn’t have too much of an ambiguous reference... pretty straight forward... as is Jerk off and Crawl Away.

When the entire album references Occult literature, symbolism, Tarot, Aleister Crowley, alternate dimensions of reality... what makes you think the Pot is any different? Could it be that wild omnipotent egotistical hair growing up your ass?

The Pot does require a bit of research to understand the proverbs he uses...

ufopancakes
02-15-2008, 05:36 AM
I'm pretty sure this is entirely irrelevant to the song... but has anyone noticed that a successive division "Right in two" is a reverse Fibonacci sequence?

ufopancakes
02-17-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm pretty sure this is entirely irrelevant to the song... but has anyone noticed that a successive division "Right in two" is a reverse Fibonacci sequence?

Wow. I must have been really high when I wrote that...

Inner_Eulogy
02-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Wow. I must have been really high when I wrote that...

lol, ya' musta' been high

AJ_JC_MJ-K_DC
02-18-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm reading the book "2012, The return of Quetzalcoatl" by Daniel Pinchbeck, Personally reccomended to me by an artist that works closely with tool whom shall remain nameless.

There is a quote in this book from Patrick Harpur, an English writer, that seems very relivent to this song.

"The world can be cut any way you like, but the inclination of Western Culture has be to cut it in two: Spirit and matter, mind and body, subject and object, God and Nature, scared and secular... and so on, it seems, forever. But the Platonic tradition describes a third realm, which neither Christianity nor science allow. This third realm, both meditating between two halves of the world yet maintaining distinctions between them, is the realm of soul. It is neither spiritual nor material, neither inner nor outer, etc., but always ambiguous, always both-and. It is a "subtle" or "breath-body" which, Proteus like, can take on any shape."

I think Right in Two is a very significant song in understanding the album, which is probably why (correct me if I'm wrong) they haven't posted the lyrics to it as of yet.

Discuss.
It's actually really simple. You are god, so when you create a distinction from you and other things (all things) you cut it in two. You are god, just a piece, everything is god. Eyeballs on top of eyeballs.

Cheesegreater
02-18-2008, 11:04 PM
It's actually really simple. You are god, so when you create a distinction from you and other things (all things) you cut it in two. You are god, just a piece, everything is god. Eyeballs on top of eyeballs.

This is exactly the way I believe. We live in a One and Many universe.

Schema
02-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Hm. I'll give the book a read one day.

By the way, I think it's "Cutting our love right in two." It makes a lot of sense, really...

"Angels on the sideline" - of the battlefield.
"Cutting our love right in two" - Our love, between God and Man. "Thou shalt not kill;" it's one of the ten commandments, motherfucker. You wage war, you go to hell, bitch.

Does this make any sense to anyone else?

tooltomus
02-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Hm. I'll give the book a read one day.

By the way, I think it's "Cutting our love right in two." It makes a lot of sense, really...

"Angels on the sideline" - of the battlefield.
"Cutting our love right in two" - Our love, between God and Man. "Thou shalt not kill;" it's one of the ten commandments, motherfucker. You wage war, you go to hell, bitch.

Does this make any sense to anyone else?

I really don't hear "cutting our love" I just started to hear "cut and divide it all" which I didn't before. Enough already, we need these damn lyrics Maynard!!!!!!!

ufopancakes
02-24-2008, 04:59 PM
I really don't hear "cutting our love" I just started to hear "cut and divide it all" which I didn't before. Enough already, we need these damn lyrics Maynard!!!!!!!

I think these will be the last ones to be posted.

jarlaxle
03-08-2008, 06:22 PM
This is my favorite song on 10,000 Days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgement_of_Solomon

I think it's this idea related to the holy land. This struggle has been sustained practically since the beginning of history. People are still killing each other over bits of land. Soon Armageddon will come and the entire region laid to waste, which (obviously) benefits no one.

Listen to this song carefully. The song is somewhat mellow for a long time, as time goes by, the angels notice the same behavior of the humans/monkeys. The song builds tension and all of a sudden the bottom drops out and it gets heavy. To me, this is the final great war. And then, it's over. And then, "asisco"...and it's over.

Inner_Eulogy
03-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Well written interpretation :) I do not however agree. I tend to think most fans over analyze Tool lyrics. Particularly on 10,000 Days most of the messages seem, to me at least, relatively straight forward. I don't think Right in Two is making any large scale doomsday scenario claims. It strikes me as simply an observation on the conduct and interaction of humanity. A third person perspective on the flawed cultural and socio-economic systems we have in place and a simple statement on how foolish and absurd it is that we waste the limited amount of time we have fighting over things that ultimately really don't matter. Anyway that is just my perverbial two cents.

BINGO, we have a winner.

Inner_Eulogy
03-11-2008, 05:10 AM
Thanks :) Not sure if there is such a thing as a winner or loser on a message board, but I appreciate the sentiment.

My point was that it's good to see one of the few who actually "get it".

Inner_Eulogy
03-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Through all that which does not exist....only as we, give value to that which, infinately, is benign cosmically....

I think somebody's had a little too much of Gina'z Juice...

Inner_Eulogy
03-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Seriously, what's with all the lame cryptic postings that say absolutely nothing of substance? I think we all get enough of this babble from Blair already as it is.

Inner_Eulogy
03-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Those who over analyze...Quickly become blinded...Such as yourself....I challange you to see more....

Right, and when did you say your newfound cult was performing your mass suicide?

jarlaxle
03-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Well written interpretation :) I do not however agree. I tend to think most fans over analyze Tool lyrics. Particularly on 10,000 Days most of the messages seem, to me at least, relatively straight forward. I don't think Right in Two is making any large scale doomsday scenario claims. It strikes me as simply an observation on the conduct and interaction of humanity. A third person perspective on the flawed cultural and socio-economic systems we have in place and a simple statement on how foolish and absurd it is that we waste the limited amount of time we have fighting over things that ultimately really don't matter. Anyway that is just my perverbial two cents.

I actually think my interpretation is slightly oversimplified, on the contrary. I see no need to dig deep here. There is a longstanding struggle between 2 opposite forces, groups, teams, whatever (I only see sidelines at a football game, soccer match, etc. that signifies 2 teams vs each other). Also, what is "this tug of war" they talk about? Tug of war means there are exactly 2 distinct sides in conflict.

I absolutely agree that it is an observation of the conduct of humanity and how we fight over things that are ultimately inconsequential. i just think that since this song stresses the significance of there being two opposing sides, that's what i come up with. To these angels, it's the same tug of war they have seen from day one. But my Tool-listening friends, I am only here to offer up another poor man's opinion. :)

jarlaxle
03-11-2008, 08:26 PM
My point was that it's good to see one of the few who actually "get it".

Really? I'd love to see it. Do you have a link?

jarlaxle
03-11-2008, 08:55 PM
You have to remember the first rule of posting here...IE already knows everything.....

So I've noticed. But I don't mind any of that. I like to see the discussion and different points of view. It enhances my listening experience, for sure..

Inner_Eulogy
03-12-2008, 12:44 PM
I recommend you to do the same as IE.....Those words that I grouped together were chosen purposefully to see what kind of response I could recieve from them...Obviously, so far, all I have found are some who are not at all ready to recieve the true gift of the music....

You don't see anybody agreeing with it now do you? So far only 2 people that are waiting to see your cult mass suicide on the news

Inner_Eulogy
03-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Really? I'd love to see it. Do you have a link?

I'm not sure how to post a working link on here, copy and paste doesn't seem to work...it's post 35 in this thread

Inner_Eulogy
03-12-2008, 12:46 PM
So I've noticed. But I don't mind any of that. I like to see the discussion and different points of view. It enhances my listening experience, for sure..

Never said I know it all. I do know a lot but I have no shame nor fears of expressing honestly that I do not know something or am unsure.

Rolo
03-12-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure how to post a working link on here, copy and paste doesn't seem to work...it's post 35 in this thread

I'm sure you were just beeing lazy, copy & paste DOES work.
post 35 (http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=2407704&postcount=35)

Inner_Eulogy
03-13-2008, 05:43 AM
I'm sure you were just beeing lazy, copy & paste DOES work.
post 35 (http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=2407704&postcount=35)

No, I really wasn't, I don't know how you did that.

Inner_Eulogy
03-13-2008, 05:43 AM
And you still don't get it....

And you still do...up the ass

Schema
03-13-2008, 08:08 AM

Hm... that seems to be a few too many phonemes.

Inner_Eulogy
03-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Cut it right all right into.....

Seems to me you've cut your intelligence, right in two

Inner_Eulogy
03-13-2008, 10:02 AM
More hostility....That wasn't enough....
It seems you cut it in 2 and it wasn't as
concentrated as
my pallette calls for...

Because as we can all guess there wasn't enough penis for your pallette

Schema
03-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Cut it right all right into.....

That sounds like the right number, but that's clumsy as fuck. I maintain it's either "cutting it all right in two" or "cutting our love right in two" - they don't sound too much different.

Inner_Eulogy
03-13-2008, 10:16 AM
That sounds like the right number, but that's clumsy as fuck. I maintain it's either "cutting it all right in two" or "cutting our love right in two" - they don't sound too much different.

Agreed

Inner_Eulogy
03-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Your infatuation with penises and anuses has taken away the question of your sexual orientation....

I could care less what sexual orientation you think I am. I'm more than comfortable about my sexuality. It's ironic that you haven't once knocked the idea of having my dick in your mouth isn't it.

Inner_Eulogy
03-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Do I need to answer that. Maybe we should cut something else right in 2...

DR. please pass the microscope, I need to make a small incision over here...

I never knew you were thinking of going through a sex change, perhaps I should have noticed all the obvious signs while my balls were slapping your chin.

jarlaxle
03-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Spark becomes a flame....

jarlaxle
03-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Back to topic; no one ever answered my question...what is "this tug of war" he is speaking of?

I think someone said he had the correct answer....

Schema
03-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Back to topic; no one ever answered my question...what is "this tug of war" he is speaking of?

I think it's just normal human animosity - the song seems to express a "divide and be conquered" perception.

ufopancakes
03-17-2008, 06:40 AM

I think a better question is... what is the tug of war NOT about?

Angel on the Sideline
03-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Well, there's no shortage of intelligent discussion around here, is there? Why don't we talk about balls slapping chins a little more? Seems to be carrying over from thread to thread now. Nothing like giving one another an electronic Strawberry Shortcake.

For those of you who actually care about the music and the lyrics and their possible meanings, thanks for continuing to read and post with all the juvenile shit flying around. I don't know about you, but it's turning me off big-time.

So, someone asked about the Tug of War. Your_Noose gave a pretty good answer. What's it NOT about?

I think the tug of war is about multiple things, but mostly it comes down to one underlying thing: the battle between nature/purity and what we humans (imperfect, free-willed, sinful creatures) have made of our gift of life.

jarlaxle
03-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Cool. I can definitely see how the song reflects the conflict that occurs between sinful, selfish, greedy humans and a perfect, pure earth as intended by nature. Of all the living things on earth, humans are the only species that is unable to achieve true equilibrium in its environment. Instead all we do is upset and destroy our surroundings and rape the planet of all its natural resources.

The question arises, are we evolving or devolving? Well, it seems that some are going in one direction, and others in the opposite direction. Is there hope of ever coming back together?

When I listen to the album, I consider Intension and RIT the same song. (I would go so far as to say VT as well, for me anyway.) I don't know if it's been brought up, but the intro sounds to RIT bleed over from the end of Intension. My idea of "spark becomes a flame, becomes a fire" is like us humans as a race, over time is destroying the earth. We started out small, but over time, we are over 6 billion strong, taking over the planet like a roach infestation, fighting amongst ourselves along the way..

On a side note, does anyone else think Aenima's angel picture on the insert has anything to do with this song?

Rolo
03-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I think a better question is... what is the tug of war NOT about?

This? (http://www.perth-getaways.com/images/nudeolympics3.jpg)

Nong
03-17-2008, 03:29 PM
So with that in mind do you think he may be talking to his soul in Jambi? Divided I'll wither away. Divided between faith and reason, material wants and spiritual needs?

jarlaxle
03-17-2008, 04:16 PM
So with that in mind do you think he may be talking to his soul in Jambi? Divided I'll wither a way. Divided between faith and reason, material wants and spiritual needs?

Sure. I'll buy that.

Angel on the Sideline
03-19-2008, 06:28 AM
I just laughed my ass off. Fat, old ladies naked. Good stuff right there.

rodneystickshift
08-31-2008, 08:55 AM
we divide our own selves in two and therefor precieve our world from two sides. on the one side we have the relevance of man to his world, and on the other the relevance of the world to the man. selfishness and selflessness. when you look at the history of our kind you can see what side we have tended to lean to

samiam88
08-31-2008, 12:56 PM
I didn't read all the responses here, so sorry if I beat a dead horse, but I think most people try to read to much in to what's being said. I think he's just saying that we can't leave well enough alone and that's all.

Inner_Eulogy
09-03-2008, 10:23 AM
The silly monkeys should've listened when momma taught you how to share. This is probably their most straightforward song, I don't see how anybody could be theorizing about it.

Basically, the angels are sitting there on the sideline per sey, watching us humans fuck everything up when we were created to do so much more with our lives. They aren't allowed to intervene yet, they sit there watching and just thinking to themselves "what a shame, these silly monkeys have it so good and yet it's never enough". Yet here we are, constantly "fighting over pieces of the ground". If we make something good, instead of sharing, we fight over who gets to have it. So much of our effort is wasted in who can make the bigger bomb or going to war instead of feeding the poor and securing our own fucking country, how about free medicare? How about a home and education for every child? The human species is a mockery of what god intended us to be.

Silence Legion
08-01-2009, 10:26 PM

Is this mysterious artist Alex Gray? That would be pretty cool, he's one of the reasons why I listen to Tool. It would be even cooler if you knew him personally, but I think i remember you saying you contacted this person via email.

Silence Legion
08-01-2009, 10:37 PM
As for the meaning of the verse, "Gotta divide it all right all right in two," I think Tool means that the only thing we do faster than kill each other is reproduce.

Keenan says, "Give them thumbs and they forge a blade," At the beginning of this verse, it sounds like the monkeys "divide it in two" by cutting another monkey in half, but at the end of the verse, Keenan says, "where there's one, they're bound to divide it right in two." Notice the "where there's one" part. I think this verse refers to reproduction and murder at the same time. Even if there is only one person, that person becomes many more people through reproduction, and those people will inevitably kill each other.

I could be wrong, but if Keenan really does want us to see both potential meanings to this song at the same time, he is truely the greatest poet of our day.

Inner_Eulogy
08-03-2009, 06:11 AM
As for the meaning of the verse, "Gotta divide it all right all right in two," I think Tool means that the only thing we do faster than kill each other is reproduce.

Keenan says, "Give them thumbs and they forge a blade," At the beginning of this verse, it sounds like the monkeys "divide it in two" by cutting another monkey in half, but at the end of the verse, Keenan says, "where there's one, they're bound to divide it right in two." Notice the "where there's one" part. I think this verse refers to reproduction and murder at the same time. Even if there is only one person, that person becomes many more people through reproduction, and those people will inevitably kill each other.

I could be wrong, but if Keenan really does want us to see both potential meanings to this song at the same time, he is truely the greatest poet of our day.

lol, are you serious?

meriter
08-03-2009, 06:15 AM
lol, troll?

Inner_Eulogy
08-03-2009, 06:16 AM
lol, troll?

I'm pretty sure he really meant that

Lateralareallofus
08-03-2009, 11:31 AM
your Noose was communicating with Chet Zar.

joshnavon
08-04-2009, 04:27 PM
The Tao of Physics touches on this subject. A very generic book for a TOOL forum, I know... But it's simple and appropriate.

It explains the desire, especially in Western 'rational' thought since Descartes to establish polarities and assume a basic duality underpinning every aspect of existence. "I think, therefore I am" was perhaps profound but also extremely damaging to the human mindset - automatically setting up a fundamental belief that we are separate from the world around us. More deeply rooted cultures and modern science appear to point towards a more holistic reality than this series of divisions.

I think that some lyrics from Jambi could apply here:
'If wants and needs divide me then I might as well be gone
Shine until the two become one
Divided I'll wither away...
So as one, survive'

I almost wish that Jambi was after RIT, suggesting a possible resolution to this division. If people pursued what they needed, not what they wanted, the world would be a much healthier place. Erasing these artificial polarities might help some people that we have always resided in Eden, we're just all too fucking dumb to realise it. Even those that do realise it rarely do anything to show they have...

metalruleson
04-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Its very easy, humanity as a whole have fought over everything and we seem to always want our own. So we divide everything by any means possible! That is why there are borders on countries, sovereign nations! Humanity is about control on so many levels, it ain't funny. We have destroyed ourselves and spiraled things so far out of our control that, we as a whole deserve, our asked for, retribution.

FullFathomFive
02-09-2011, 12:04 PM
The conciousness of death happened. Then religion happened. Not much since.

Really gonna put myself out there for being a first post, but I registered here specifically to reply to this one.
There may actually be a 'real' answer to this one. "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn has some good insight on exactly 'what happened.' To the point, instead of man living in the hands of the gods, in our infinite wisdom, we decided that was not 'the way man ought to live.' So began the 'agricultural revolution' and all the fuckery that, over the last 10,000 years (days), has degraded, not only our connection to the Divine, but many cultures and societies since.

FullFathomFive
02-09-2011, 12:11 PM
If people pursued what they needed, not what they wanted, the world would be a much healthier place. Erasing these artificial polarities might help some people that we have always resided in Eden, we're just all too fucking dumb to realise it. Even those that do realise it rarely do anything to show they have...

Exactly!